It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum rules

This is the forum to announce your sharpening promotions, write about new products you've tested, and show off your skills.
You can post your prices, link your Facebook and YouTube page, contact information, etc...

You can post 1 sales thread and bump it all you want and add new promotions to it.

To apply for your own subforum, PM any of the mods here on the board, they are free!

Page 9 of 12 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fernandez 230 mm gyuto
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:48 am 

What are the hunting knives going for?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:53 am 

What are the specs on your 230 gyuto? Bill B.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Specs on the last one are:

197 grams, 2 inches tall at the heel, 0.086 inches thick 61-62 Rc.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 pm 

Sound like a hell of a nice heavy middle weight or a light heavy weight. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Would not classify as heavy, more middle weight and action. The balance point is about 1/2 inch in front of the handle.

BTW, the hunting knives are going for $150 at the moment, got 4 of them getting made up this week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:22 am 

Only $150? :shock:

What are the specs? Looks almost like a chisel grind?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes sir, $150, because I'm not a good enough knife maker to be charging more than that. Sure, I've got some time under my belt refinishing blades, repairing, sharpening, handles, heat treating... but putting the whole package together takes another degree of focus and determination. Not only that but I'm not forging these blades, they are stock removal. If it were a forged blade I would feel comfortable charging more. All in due time, all in due time...

I'm about to put 2 of these blades up for sale next week, want to see how they sell.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:02 pm 

Shaun - I'm researching for my next knife and am leaning toward a laser gyuto. Konosuke and Richmond seem to be the go-to knives here from what I can read in the forum. I like the idea of a 210 HD2 or W#2 (only the W#2 is in stock) but came across your knife which seems similar in many ways. A few questions though:

1. It looks like you re-designed the handle somewhat, making the wood scales shorter and exposing more of the tang. Why did you do this?

2. The description seems to indicate different woods are used for the handle. Is this true and if so, what is available and how would I specify what I want? Are there photos? If not, what wood do you use? Any problem with shrinkage?

3. Other than the steel used, did you make any other improvements for this generation of the knife?

Thanks for the help. By the way, I really enjoy your videos. They definitely help me in making decisions.

Cheers, Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

I like more tang, helps for a better pinch grip and overall balance of the knife. I can adjust this upon request if it bothers enough people or I'm doing a custom order.

As far as woods go, I can use whatever you like, just let me know beforehand. The next batch I have is a mix of very nice pieces.

All Fernandez knives from here on will be 100% hand ground by me, as Lamson and Goodnow did the last batch. I'm able to make them thinner behind the edge and have a nicer convex.

Just got the heat treat oven in last week and have done a few blades so far. Easy as cake, one step at a time. I will be working with some exotic steel very soon. :)

Thanks for the questions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:40 pm 

Thanks for the info. It does prompt a couple more questions.

You briefly mention the Konosuke knives in your video but can you elaborate a bit more of how they compare to your knife? Lots of stuff about the Konos but only a little about yours. By the way, I'm just a home cook that has recently discovered this forum and CKTG and I love handcrafted things, especially "tools".

Also if your knife is ordered directly from the CKTG website, where do you get involved? Do they have knives "in stock" or is it basically a custom order through them that you fulfill? Or is the knife ordered directly from you?

Thanks again.

Page 9 of 12 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next