It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Ready to plunge
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:55 pm 

No slipping in the rabbit hole, you dive in head first.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:23 pm 

No slipping in the rabbit hole, you dive in head first.

:D It's something I've thought about for a long time...yesterday I was brewing up a batch of beer (and sampling some previous batches ;) )....and let's just say I'm a bit of an impulse shopper :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:04 pm 

Please post a quick review and let us know how you like it. Really curious about that one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Awesome choice - did you get the 210 or 240?

Brewing your own beer - Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:10 pm 

Went with the 240, although in hindsight I may should have gone with the 210 as it's more like my current go-to knife....oh, well, something new to try!

(aside: brewing is a wicked fun and addicting hobby :D )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:28 pm 

That 210 is priced very much within reach for many. I must admit I'm curious.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:19 pm 

Mr. FedEx man delivered the new knife just before we got hit with 8" of snow and ice (which for central NC is pretty much a crippler), so I've had a chance to play with it a good bit. :)

I am really not one to give any kind of review, as my knife skills are basic at best and I have nothing to compare it to other than our current Henckels....but I love it! I was concerned about the going with the 240 (as my go-to is smaller), but the weight and balance of this knife is great for me. I also really like the lack of flexibility of the knife given its light weight (again, compared to my Henckel).

I am curious though, about what the consensus for edge angle would be? I've read (here?) that 17 degrees is recommended for kitchenware, but wasn't sure what you'd recommend for this steel? I'm not looking to make any major changes, I just figure if I put it to a stone, it's more "mine" :D

Thanks again for all the feedback, and I do believe this is a first step into a new healthy addiction....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:03 pm 

If you are free hand sharpening, use the sharpie trick, it will help you mimic the existing bevel angle, you don't even need to know what the angle is. If you are using a jig, use the sharpie trick to figure out what the angle is :P

The 15° range is probably about right though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:26 pm 

As a general, but very flexible, rule 1/16" (2MM) or a little less is about right on most knives for edge width on a 50/50 grind. In most cases that will give you a good edge to work with given the width of the blade behind the edge. Again not always but most of the time. I find that usually gives you a good bevel angle for a given knife.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2