It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: YAY, new stuff!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tanaka G3 with Black Dyed Redwood Burl and Redwood Burl in an Octaval handle shape (octagon on the top/sides, oval on the bottom):

Gonna be matched up with a Fujiwara FKM 150mm SS petty with redwood burl scales and copper pins for a Game Dinner Raffle prize. Still gotta get the petty finished and get some pics.

New handle materials, bought this stuff like 2 years ago, finally got around to using it!

This is a Black Faux Pearl ferrule and a Faux Ivory handle. It's polyester based, but looks pretty cool. I've used the Faux Horn and other similar items as ferrules in the past on a few knives w/o any issues, and I wanted to try material for the main body. I left the corners of the Wa handle bevels sharp and did the handle longer than normal to it would get banged around more to see how the material holds up. It takes a high polish nicely and is very light weight, not much heavier than a Ho handle.

Post subject: Re: YAY, new stuff!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:09 pm 

Very nice Tim, I love the clean simple look. That faux ivory hits the spot with me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yup, hoping it holds up to use well. Been using it for a few days now with no issues :) Looks like it should be good to use! The faux pearl stuff is cool, I have a handle that I epoxied with Faux ivory from and rear caps and blue pearl in the middle, gotta block it out and shape it when I am in my shed next :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Got some quality Shed Time in today!

2 for the Game Dinner Raffle Prizes, hunting knife blade blank is still in transit:

Fujiwara FKM 150mm petty with Redwood Burl:

Pimped out my Yamashin Funy! I had reground and acid etched it a while back, original handle was too long and square, so I did another one. This is the faux Ivory front and rear and Blue Pearl middle.

The Faux Black Pearl is more subdued, looks like the brighter colors of this stuff pop out more!

Monster of a knife! Blazen (I think??) 270mm Yo Gyuto converted to a Wa, full bolster removal, Gold Buckeye Burl ferrule and butt cap, Red Maple Burl handle. The Maple is kinda on the border of Pink/Red depending on the lighting. I guess this is common with reds; they are rarely true red and end up being more like a dark pink color.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:48 pm 

They look great as always! Good to hear you aren't a popsicle yet from that weather.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, we are getting more snow tonight and then in the 40's to 50's later in the week...Welcome to New England!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:56 am 

Everything looks great! I just bought a Goko Damascus (great price on the site now) that I will be sending to you to rehandle soon. Cant wait to get my Blazen back, nice job!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:30 am 

really loving the blue and white handle. great work you are a jedi among wood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:55 am 

Now you have me all worked up, I guess I'll have to send a couple knives your way this week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:10 pm 

Really like the handle on the Tanaka G3. What is the ferrule material? How do you compare the G3 blade to your Sesiko 240?BB

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next