It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Combo Sharpening
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:02 pm 

I recently tried something a little different that perhaps some folks have been doing for a long time.

I love free hand sharpening but I also truly appreciate what the EP Pro can accomplish and I use both, depending on the knife but most of the time I free hand, I find it quicker too.

So what would happen if I took advantage of my full sized coarse stones and did the heavy work on those to quickly re-establish a long lost edge and raise a burr. Then finish the knife off as per normal on a 2k or 5k stone. THEN, take that knife and use the Edge Pro to clean up any of my imperfections that I left behind while free handing.

I have done this, the tricky part I thought was going to be finding the angle on the EP but as it turns out it was easy. I sharpen at 19 deg for most of the European knives I do, it feels like 19 deg anyway so I was able to prove that on the EP by setting it at 19 deg and verifying that I was on target using the sharpie. It worked very nicely actually, it isn't something I plan to do with every knife but I get many many knives that would really but a beating on my EP coarse stones, so why not accomplish the heavy lifting on the larger stones and then finish it off on the EP.
I am only talking using 1 stone on the EP too, the 5k for example, it just seems to make the edge a little crispier if that is an appropriate turn.
I have also used the full sized Atoma 140 and then did the rest of the work on the EP.

Again, just something I am trying out and not making an attempt to recommend it and like I said, maybe folks have been doing this for years.
Peter

Post subject: Re: Combo Sharpening
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:25 pm 

I experimented with this yesterday with several knives. I've found that this approach is really just applying a micro bevel and it works well for that. So I'm doing this anymore, it was an interesting experiment though. Still good for going from a coarse stone to the EP too.

Post subject: Re: Combo Sharpening
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:46 pm 

Keep sharing those experiments with us Peter, we're learning as your are!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]