It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Food & Knife Portfolio / Blog / Discussion
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:28 pm 

I think you're a little bit ignorant with that statement. You know your industry very, very well. But when it comes to other industries I'm not sure you have the knowledge.

Now I'm going to put a disclaimer as this is for my area, obviously Toronto and by extension of that Canada is in a different economic state then the US.

The thing about the restaurant industry is there will always be jobs, I haven't met, heard or spoken to one cook around my area who can't find a job.

Now this is not what I'm basing my argument on. My Mother works for the bank, she doesn't even have her highscool diploma yet works among people with their BOA and Masters. Why? They can't find a job within their industry. They paid to go to school and worked hard for 4+ years and what do they get? The exact same job as frankly and uneducated Middle aged lady with zero credentials.

So no, the hospitality industry is not the job to end all jobs but it certainly sounds better than the above mentioned statement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:35 pm 

This thread is about to get interesting....;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:54 pm 

RedWattle wrote:This thread is about to get interesting....;)

I believe I know why you think this.

It looks like I'm taking a shot at Melampus, but I'm not. It's hard to convey emotion without tone. A writer has to be very experienced with diction to convey the proper meaning, and at that point it still has to be interpreted by the audience.

I don't want to rustle any jimmies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:08 am 

This is quite an interesting topic.
I think what shot me up through the ranks was just time and hard work. I managed to go from a dishwasher to a Sous in about a year. It seemed like just sheer luck of timing; by time I was on the line for a few months the at-the-time sous left to go back to school. By then I had established that exact reputation as the guy who you can depend on when SHTF, and was chosen over all the other candidates. Our kitchen isn't the biggest, so I'm still manning battle stations every day.

Luckily I've been able to pick and choose who suffers with me, so we've all become that sorta band of brothers that you can only hope for. At that point, it's no longer a grind, but just another day of cranking our good food and having a good time.

So in the end, one just needs to be personable and be able to step up to the plate, at least in my opinion. Age has never mattered to me, and actually I tend to choose the more green person as I can cultivate and instill skills I need them to have. I work in a Thai establishment, so classical skills are used here, but not as much.

The industry is only as bad, or as good, as you make it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:04 am 

irwinnar wrote:This is quite an interesting topic.
I think what shot me up through the ranks was just time and hard work. I managed to go from a dishwasher to a Sous in about a year. It seemed like just sheer luck of timing; by time I was on the line for a few months the at-the-time sous left to go back to school. By then I had established that exact reputation as the guy who you can depend on when SHTF, and was chosen over all the other candidates. Our kitchen isn't the biggest, so I'm still manning battle stations every day.

Luckily I've been able to pick and choose who suffers with me, so we've all become that sorta band of brothers that you can only hope for. At that point, it's no longer a grind, but just another day of cranking our good food and having a good time.

So in the end, one just needs to be personable and be able to step up to the plate, at least in my opinion. Age has never mattered to me, and actually I tend to choose the more green person as I can cultivate and instill skills I need them to have. I work in a Thai establishment, so classical skills are used here, but not as much.

The industry is only as bad, or as good, as you make it.

Thanks for the refreshing advice. I've kind of jacked this thread for my own xD

I'm hoping me being a greenhorn, can be used to my advantage. I want to find a mentor that can mould me into the apprentice he needs.

Now to find the right mentor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:12 am 

Mel your hatred for this industry always cracks me up...but I AGREE!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:57 pm 

I have met many in this industry that talk nothing but trash about it but then say they couldn't imagine doing anything else. True dedication.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:10 am 

People in farming say the same thing. I'm sure you've heard a lot of that too Jeff . :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:44 am 

RedWattle wrote:People in farming say the same thing. I'm sure you've heard a lot of that too Jeff . :)

My dad used to tell me he had to work a full time job so he could afford to farm! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:11 am 

Saltydog's statement, "Respect is Life" to me reads like -- a good reputation means a good career. Get that turned around into a bad reputation and, well...

Page 2 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next