It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tag sale finds -- stabby and slicy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:22 pm 

These two aren't much to look at, but they sharpened up beautifully and are a joy to use. The larger one is an old Mac petty, the small one is apparently form the early 1900's, marked "Property of Coast Grinding Service".

Attachments:
knf2.JPG [42.74 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post subject: Re: Tag sale finds -- stabby and slicy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:27 am 

I have a very similar MAC knife, it's labelled as a utility knife. The steel is very wear resistant but can take a sweet edge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:38 am 

I have that exact same MAC petty. I just finished up refinishing the handles by sanding them smooth then applying some Red Mahogony stain followed by a good rub of mineral oil
Touched up the edge on my SMT diamond stones fine and extra fine.
The blade is a little beat up, has a nick on the spine, but it still cuts very well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:40 am 

I see those vintage Mac knives from time to time. Always wanted to see what I could do with the handles to make them pretty. One of these days.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:19 pm 

Ooh, that's a good idea phillysco. I ought to try that too, though I'm not well-versed in refinishing wood. When I found it, the blade was like a butter knife. I was surprised how sharp it got. (I used a DMT diamond plate - fine/extra fine, then a ceramic rod and a balsa strop)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:40 pm 

sfranciss wrote:Ooh, that's a good idea phillysco. I ought to try that too, though I'm not well-versed in refinishing wood. When I found it, the blade was like a butter knife. I was surprised how sharp it got. (I used a DMT diamond plate - fine/extra fine, then a ceramic rod and a balsa strop)

I actually believe the older mac utility knife came unsharpened. Mine was exactly the same but still cut well because it was so thin.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]