It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Takamura 210mm Review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:27 am 

I feel I've had a good run with this knife so far and can write a good review on it. I've used it enough to sharpen it twice, multiple days of prep at work with various ingredients. I usually do a first impressions post but I figured I'd change it up for this one.

First off I bought this knife solely from CGuarins87's video. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.

Coming from using wa-handled knives for quite a while now the handle was a little foreign but took no getting used to, very slim and sleek which might lend an issue to people with larger hands ( I have medium large hands.) the bolster puts the balance point right at the machi. This lends the knife to feel almost as light as the kohetsu 210 but with more weight therefore more chopping power.

The R2 powdered steel is very nice. Sharpens up to a very steep edge and can take a Shiag-to refinement very nicely. It holds it's edge just as long as AS maybe even with a little more bite even after use.

Nimble as can be, very good control with this knife. I touch on this later.

Not really going to touch on the grind to much, it's great. Definite laser however not as thin behind the edge as the kohetsu IMO. This being said, I feel the takamura gives the user more feedback and overall control. It's also more robust and less flexible than the kohetsu which is what lends it greater control in the cuts. If you do a lot of soft veggie prep like myself this knife puts a smile on your face.

The thing that really sets this knife apart from the rest is the profile, it has this really funky tip which isn't a smooth curve on top, it has that kiritsuke aggressive look to it. I absolutely love this and makes it even more of a pleasure to use.

I really wish they made this knife in 240mm as I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

Post subject: Re: Takamura 210mm Review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:51 pm 

Nice review! I love powder steel, i have S35VN in one of my knives and love the stuff. If i had an extra 200 laying around i might pick this one up.

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:01 pm 

Great review and thanks for sharing! There are so many wonderful knives on the site.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:13 pm 

That knife is on sale.. and I bought a kohetsu, but I MAY just pick that one up as well...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:39 pm 

Well looks like I lost out on a bit of cash.... Oh well. It's really worth the money, I prefer it in most ways over my kohetsu now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:58 pm 

I "don't" have a 210... just a 180 santoku the kohetsu... may have to pick this up just to have a 210, right? right?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:17 am 

Nmiller21k wrote:I "don't" have a 210... just a 180 santoku the kohetsu... may have to pick this up just to have a 210, right? right?

Dude, my excuse to buy this knife was " Well it's got a western handle which I don't have and it's powdered metallurgy which I also don't have."

Obvious reasons why I picked it up xD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:57 am 

I don't have a western handle
or a 210
OR a PM...

zomg...
Taxes come in the 25th... I KNOW what I'm buying!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:35 pm 

Nmiller21k wrote:I don't have a western handle
or a 210
OR a PM...

zomg...
Taxes come in the 25th... I KNOW what I'm buying!

it's on sale dammit! BUY IT NAO!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:21 pm 

I can't :(
I just paid first, last month and deposit at my apartment at The Greenbrier I'm TAPPED....

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next