It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Another gyuto recommendation...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

When all else fails, order multiple knives!! That's what I do!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:19 pm 

Haha, nice selection. Now the worst part it deciding which knife to use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:51 pm 

Excited to hear your feedback. Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:50 pm 

FedEx delivered the Anryu & Yuki around noon, despite the 6-8 inches of snow that's fallen so far! Great service from them and CKTG.

I haven't used them yet and may not have a chance tonight given the weather and shoveling duties, but my initial impressions are:

Yuki 240 - fantastic looking knife, it looks way better in person than in photos and videos; fit and finish is top notch; very nice feel in the hand; extremely nice grind, seems very thin behind edge and wicked sharp - cutting a sheet of paper is effortless and very quiet.

Anryu Hammered 210 - also a fantastic looking knife, I like the hammered a lot; fit & finish is also great except for a slight ridge at ferrule/handle junction; also has a very nice feel in the hand; seems not as thin behind the edge and while sharp, especially at belly & tip, will need some sharpening work near the heel.

Overall, I am very pleased with the knives and based on first impressions the nod goes to the Yuki. But I really like the looks of the Anryu and while I haven't used them yet, my initial reaction is that I thin I like the feel of the 210 better than the 240. But actual use will tell and I can't wait to compare them in use.

Thanks again to all for your comments and suggestions. And to Mark & CKTG - I'm hooked on using and collecting Japanese knives now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:12 pm 

I also purchased the Anryu Hammered 210 about a month ago and also noticed the same slight ridge ferrule/handle junction. After a month of use, the wood handle swells with the moisture and the ridge is no more. Overall, very pleased with the Anryu, for me in a home kitchen the 210 length is a very good length (limited chopping space). Very comfortable knife to use (balance and grip), serves multiple roles, nice blade profile and even grind. Noticed a little wedging when cutting toward the back of the blade, but this is expected not being a laser. Also purchased a Masakage Yuki Honesuki, very nice fit and finish (yes looks better in your hands than the picture), has worked great for birds and to strip down a leg of lamb the other day. Just one fun knife to use. Seems like you get a lot of bang for the buck from both of these knife lines, and there beautiful to use (and look at). So it looks like you got the best of both, great choices.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:18 am 

Totoro wrote:FedEx delivered the Anryu & Yuki around noon, despite the 6-8 inches of snow that's fallen so far! Great service from them and CKTG.

I haven't used them yet and may not have a chance tonight given the weather and shoveling duties, but my initial impressions are:

Yuki 240 - fantastic looking knife, it looks way better in person than in photos and videos; fit and finish is top notch; very nice feel in the hand; extremely nice grind, seems very thin behind edge and wicked sharp - cutting a sheet of paper is effortless and very quiet.

Anryu Hammered 210 - also a fantastic looking knife, I like the hammered a lot; fit & finish is also great except for a slight ridge at ferrule/handle junction; also has a very nice feel in the hand; seems not as thin behind the edge and while sharp, especially at belly & tip, will need some sharpening work near the heel.

Overall, I am very pleased with the knives and based on first impressions the nod goes to the Yuki. But I really like the looks of the Anryu and while I haven't used them yet, my initial reaction is that I thin I like the feel of the 210 better than the 240. But actual use will tell and I can't wait to compare them in use.

Thanks again to all for your comments and suggestions. And to Mark & CKTG - I'm hooked on using and collecting Japanese knives now.

I've never found a knife to be as sharp OOTB as I can make it myself. The high amount of buffing and polishing the maker does reduces the performance.

I believe within time, once you get comfortable with a 240 you will love it and continue to go back to it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:49 pm 

Sorry it's been awhile since my last post on this topic but...

As I mentioned, both the Anryu and Yuki are great. I've used them a bit more (but not as much as I wanted) and find that they do have different personalities.

The Yuki, although longer than I normally use, is very easy to get used to. It is fairly light, very handy for the size and is the nicest cutting knife that I've ever used. It is almost effortless.

As much as I'm loving the Yuki, I am drawn to the Anryu. It is about the same weight as the Yuki but the shorter length makes it feel more substantial to me. It does not cut as effortlessly as the Yuki, but is very close. The blade finish and feel is what draws me. I haven't sharpened it yet but when I do, I'll try to get the back part of the blade a bit sharper to match the front.

I also picked up a Goko Damascus 210 gyuto and am very impressed with it also. Very light and very thin but easy to get used to when switching from the Anryu. I got this because it's stainless, looks great, was priced right and as a knife that my daughter can use when helping me prep. Great deal, great knife!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:36 pm 

I've got an anryu hammered blade as well. It is easily the most asked about knife in my collection. Very unique finish that is quite practical in nature (keeps food from sticking to blade).

I'd get your new blade on the stones - the blue #2 sharpens quickly to great edge and hold the edge for a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:05 pm 

The Anryu just oozes character to me. I really enjoy that knife. Most Japanese cutlery will not come with the edge they are capable of, when you sharpen them the first time, you will get to experience the new knife smell all over again. :)

Page 6 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6