It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Utility, Boning and Paring
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

AEB-L will sharpen easily and take a great edge. The Shirogami #1, #2 and Aogami #1, #2 steels will be a little easier to sharpen than AS as well.

The Maruyoshi/Hattori/Ryusen HD VG-10 is known to be well heat treated and one of the best examples of how to do VG-10 well.

TAZ575 (Tim Johnson) loves his Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Gyutos for things like sweet potatoes and such. Do some searches on his posts - he talks about them often. They are a fully reactive blade though, if that makes a difference to you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:07 pm 

I've never heard of any complaints about sharpening G3 that's in the Kanehiro Ginsan but I have no personal experience with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Forgot about that one. I understand it sharpens easily for a stainless steel as well. I did some sharpening on a Tanaka Ginsan Gyuto and I noticed no issues - its was quick and easy to sharpen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:41 pm 

"I notice that sharpening VG-10 seems to be easier than Aogami Super"

This is backwards. The AS will be easier to sharpen than VG10.

"If you are considering getting a security system..."

I do not like monitored alarm companies, they are a different variety of crook.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:54 pm 

Paying for security is a lot better than getting your house ransacked trust me. Hmmmm interesting you say that about VG-10 vs AS for sharpening. I had both and sharpened them side by side on Shaptons. The AS on the Richmond laser seems significantly harder, and as a result, more work to sharpen.

So I went with the Kanehiro Ginsan, replaced the shun utility and the Richmond paring. I'm super excited about the Kanehiro! Thanks everyone for all of your input...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:05 pm 

Any photos of the locket or pocket watch...Report to authorities and search pawn shops...maybe you'l get lucky. The Shun pairing knife for me is not very good.

The handle is very chunky and heavy. It makes it a chore to hold, it's great for removing the center parts of tomatoes and other fruits but peeling is a real chore with such a big heavy handle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:26 pm 

"interesting you say that about VG-10 vs AS for sharpening. I had both and sharpened them side by side on Shaptons."

Most sharpening anecdotes regarding VG10 complain about burr formation and removal. I cannot say I noticed burr management was worse on my Tojiro, though one of my other VG10 knives is a PITA, though it is probably just crap manufacturing. AS, on the other hand, may not grind quicker, but I have found it to gets to a keen edge quicker, give better feedback, and lose its burr more readily. So for me, I would rather sharpen AS all day, but I can imagine, since processes differ between sharpeners, some might find one steel easier than others.

"Paying for security is a lot better than getting your house ransacked trust me."

I have dealt with both.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:56 pm 

Jon --> Think you made a great choice. Let us know what you think about it.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2