It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Misono UX-10
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:45 am 

I've searched the archives and can't seem to find any extensive discussion about the Misono UX-10 line. They're a very popular knife among the cooks in my kitchen, and I know they've gotten great reviews around the web.

My guess is that there's simply better Japanese knives to be had for the money, but I wanted to get the opinions of those more in the know. What's the general consensus about these knives?

Post subject: Re: Misono UX-10
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:50 am 

From what I have read the UX10 line is overpriced for what it is. Not knock on the product, just a price-point issue. For that reason I don't see it recommended here much. I do know it got some great press some time back and may be riding that high...perhaps a little too high...but that is just speculation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:59 am 

The UX-10 does not stand out from the rest of the swedish steel offerings. They can be a little pricey but there are several things that the UX-10 does well. The F&F is great on the handles, the balance point is spot on and terrific for a yo-handle. The blade is going to be very straight and the grinds are consistent. I'm not into the scalloped blade face. I don't think it does much of anything at all, but to those who dig them, they offer those too. Quality control is definitly above expectations.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:56 pm 

I was looking for a western (yo) gyuto about 3-4 months ago, 240mm. My search started with the UX10 (think I saw it on some older review online). At the time (maybe 5-6 years ago), it appeared to be the darling of most reviews I saw. But the price seems to have gone up quite a bit (I believe it was reviewed at 195, now 280). I've used one, good feel, and weight, but nothing remarkable. I believe you can get better swedish SS at a better price - the richmond line AEB-L SS comes to mind (but a 'different' knife than the UX10 for sure, certainly lighter). If looking for a similar knife in (non-swedish) SS, Kikuichi TKC would be my first choice, but a bit lighter than the UX10. If I wanted a bit more heft, maybe the Masamoto VG (what I got - love it) for a fair amount less than the kikiuci. Or for same price point as Masamoto, but lighter, Mac Pro. Not reviewing the pricing on CKTG, but I think it is a $50 jump from Masamoto VG and Mac Pro to Kikuicki, and another $50 from Kikuichi to Misono.

Just my $0.02. Many on here with vastly greater knowledge than I have, but I did do the research, so maybe I can lighten your research load a bit by sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:00 am 

misono knives- great design/f+f/grinds/steel choices/good preformers BUT they want to much $$$$$$$
get a fujiwara, it will do the same thing! maybe for 1 or 2 shifts less but it cost 3 times less.
just an example, apprentice walks into work, hey chef look what I got! new misono, cool how much? answer- wow I say now lets test it, I use he uses my Fuji, he says hmmmmmmmmm not much different. I say yours is really shiny!!! he say ya but yours is sharp!
every knife on the site is awesome! some are just less money for what you get./don't by a brand! buy an age old skill!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:52 am 

A UX-10 cost more than my 240mm Kono HD2, I'd say it's overpriced.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:06 am 

I don't own one but I've handled them in the past. I do recall them having stellar fit & finish though they're currently overpriced. Nice, but you can do much better when considering their current price.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:42 pm 

Thanks for your feedback, especially the extended review from SoCal. Cheffiec, I actually have a Fujiwara, which I love. :) The cooks in my kitchen rave about these knives over Shuns and Wusthofs and the more well-known brands. I'm a big fan of the Food Lab blog on Serious Eats, and its writer, a former line cook, says they're just about the best knives out there. Looks like there are definitely some better choices at the price point.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:53 pm 

"A UX-10 cost more than my 240mm Kono HD2, I'd say it's overpriced."

Puts it in perspective a bit :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:39 pm 

If you're looking for the great Misono F&F consider their 440-series. A bit harder than their moly's, a more traditional look than the UX-10, and much more affordable.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]