It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Deba wanted.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Mark, your site is really helpful, and the community that has formed gives first time buyers a lot of trust in what you are working on.

I live in México and bought the kohetsu, for its great reviews. i cook mostly in the weekend and mostly seafood.

im feeling an itch for a deba. i currently use a ojeda knive for cleaning fish. i´m sure that a 180 mm deba would be a great option. The Ojeda is hard it should be over 60 rockwell high carbon stainless, but the profile is too width. Still i like the feeling and it never chips.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Deba wanted.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Fausto,

How much did you want to spend?

Also when you say width to you mean the thickness of the blade? In general Deba knives are often really thick.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Mark. my budget is limited, not more than 200 usd.

the ojeda feels that its has an edge over 40 degrees, i tought the debas being one sided should have a sharper angle at the end of the blade. Not a lot.

just a few weeks ago i chipped a shun edo vg10 that i bought on amazon, just working with a snook seabass (i knew beforehand that they were brittle). then i went back to the ojeda.

I think i might be interested because i like the profile of debas for fish. or because i have not tried a good deba, still every good deba seems to be over 200 usd.

any good recommendations?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:44 pm 

I really like the Tanaka I bought http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taka18bl2de.html

Like a lot of japanese knives, it doesn't come with the best OOB sharpness but it REALLY took a fantastic edge. It's a burly knife, for sure, but I am surprised every time at how well it slices.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

dinoadventures wrote:I really like the Tanaka I bought http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taka18bl2de.html

Like a lot of japanese knives, it doesn't come with the best OOB sharpness but it REALLY took a fantastic edge. It's a burly knife, for sure, but I am surprised every time at how well it slices.

I like that recommendation as well. The Tanaka is a good knife for the money.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've never tried these, but I have heard some good things:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kawh3de18.html

Tanaka also makes some nice knives:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taka18bl2de.html

Traditional, single beveled deba's are typically very thick at the spine, but can, and do have very thin edges. It depends on how you sharpen them. They are purpose built fish dismantlers. You can sharpen the edge with an obtuse bevel at the heel for taking off fish heads, and finer towards the tip for delicate filet work.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:29 pm 

I have the tanaka. It's a very good knife for the money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:21 am 

Thanks guys. the Tanaka seems like a good value. im going to try to have it shipped to mexico.

it will be used primarily as a fish dismantler, and as a butcher knife for pork.

my girl will be mad. She has been asking for a knife appropriate for her, i have a small cheap and thin 160 santoku that she likes to use, i told her that was a laser and it does get really sharp (for 1 hour). when i bought the kohetsu i told her that it also was lightweight laser. i wasnt lying... Right now she is scared of it.

i had a few drinks on saturday and cut myself twice, first just slicing some snapper for sashimi and then washing the kohetsu. i like that the tip of the knife is at the same height as my thumb when i pinch grip. great for sashimi cuts.

i know she will be disappointed with me when she sees the deba.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:50 am 

good call on the tanaka, I luv mine. MUCH better after initial sharpening they are not the best ootb edges but there treat on the steel is superb!
I found my 180 kasumi needs/likes a bit of a micro bevel especially at the heel, or try differential sharpening as described by ken shwartz I do this on my deba's and my workhorse gyutos. this way I get a great edge and a strong heel area for anything that needs some extra umpf

Post subject: Deba wanted.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:12 pm 

My girl won. I ended up buying her the takamura r2 petty. But then i think we both won.

It´s the third japanese knive. the first was a shun edo knife (solid vg10). now it has a huge chip, it hurts me just seeing that big hole on that otherwise cool knife.

The second one was a kohetsu, going for a Laser. Now the takamura petty.

Any recomendations for a 4th knife?

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next