It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Workhorse that will hold the edge?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:10 am 

I am looking for an all rounder knife that will hold a good edge in a commercial kitchen. I am a rocking-cutter, and I do not want a reactive blade as we tend to work on the go and have to prep thing during service.
Ideally I want a gyuto, but I love how kiritsukes look. Budget should be around 250, but I would want to spend less of course. 210mm is an ideal size, but I wouldn't mind something bigger.

Post subject: Re: Workhorse that will hold the edge?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:25 am 

So do you want bigger or not. What type handle?

One to consider, Kikuichi Performance TKC: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ictkcgy21.html
Semi stainless that acts more like a stainless.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:32 am 

Nice knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohhstki24.html

Swedish stainless ~ low maintenance and good edge retention.

However, Kiritsuke's tend to have a flatter belly so they're not really associated with rock chopping.

But hey, I'm sure you could get used to it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:51 am 

+1 TKC

Great knife, awesome sharpness, great F+F, durable edge, can rock chop, and available in 210mm.

Both the 210 and 240 are in your budget though.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwadagy21.html

Another consideration from the same maker as TKC.... Thin and light, japanese handle. Perhaps less of a prepper, but still good, hard steel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 am 

I am not that fussy about it being a kiritsuke

Handle wise, I have both western handled knives, and wa handled ones so I do not mind.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:34 pm 

TKC is an excellent option! 240mm for sure in a commercial kitchen. IME 210 is too dainty for workhorse.
Kiritsuke would not be recommended in a hectic environment. No coming back from a dropped kiritsuke.

The Haruyuki may suit you.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hasrgy24.html

I would recommend looking at the Tanaka Ginsan.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakaginsan.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jeff B wrote:So do you want bigger or not. What type handle?

One to consider, Kikuichi Performance TKC: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ictkcgy21.html
Semi stainless that acts more like a stainless.

Although I don't fully consider the TKC a workhorse, this is a really great knife and should fit what you're looking for very well.

IMHO, the TKC is just slightly thinner than what I consider a workhorse.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

TOUFAS <> I'm glad you can admit your only interest in the Kiritsuke is its appearance. It's functionally moot in 90% of Western kitchens, and it's best forgotten in this conversation.

JEFF, asked you an unanswered question: 210 or 240? This makes a difference, and space should be the predicate. He was blunt in his format because your indifference gets us nowhere... fast. CKTG carries 210s & 240s... which would you like? In a commercial environment, if its only used for service I can see the 210. If its only used for prep, I can see a 240/270. If you can only have one service/prep knife, a 210 usually wins out, but if you can swing the 240 in service... do it. This can also be confused by some 240's coming in from 230-250 & 210's coming in @205-215.

On to my suggestions. You want a "workhorse." Ah, how I love semantics. There have been so many damn threads over the years about "lasers" & "reprofiling" & "workhorses" it gets to a point where a man just wants to Image , but then I gather myself & presume you want a knife that you can sharpen to a respectable angle, beat the snot out of all day long, and need not do anything to but strop after your shift/before your next. You have already specified you want SS. I own a myriad of knives, I've used even more, but I'm going to extend some suggestions I own & some that I do not as I look for different attributes in a knife than you do.

First, allow me to say I am a huge proponent for the TKC. If you have engaged even a modicum of due diligence in researching a knife for yourself, I'm sure you have seen how highly the item is regarded - particularly by one of our resident knife makers, ADAM MARR. I have personally lauded the knife, as well; I love her dearly. Exceptionally versatile profile, weighted enough to instill integrity yet light enough to prep all day long, steel that is fun on the stones / takes a great edge / has impressive retention, great F&F, etc. It seems like just yesterday, albeit a handful of months, we were just telling DANCRUBENEW, these very same things as he was deliberating if he should or should not get a second JK. As you can see, he has been extremely happy with the TKC. That said, I won't suggest against her, but I think you might consider something a bit more durable. I am not implying in anyway that the TKC is not a tough knife - it is undeniably tough - a "workhorse" FOR ME - IN MY HANDS, but we're dancing in the abyss of relativity which is nothing more than absolute ambiguity. ;) What you think is tough & what I think is tough can be disparate concepts.

The knife I want to suggest, is out-of-stock, AND if my intuition serves me correct - as it typically does, when it comes back into stock it will have a modified grind on it that will be a world apart from where the knife I grew accustom to resides. The knife I type of is the SHIRO KAMO, <--link. A beast of a knife. Has some very distinct attributes that you can love or hate, but it has been well received, and could be worth the wait... especially if a new grind comes back with narrower shoulders. Knife is notably stiff with what I find to be limited feedback, but this is countered by sheer & awesome cutting power. They work a PM steel into an absurdly tough & durable knife. Any time I think of the Kamo, I think of a BEAST. It's so tough, I feel it's a prime candidate as a restaurant house-knife, but that's neither here nor there.

There are two knives that I think should rate extremely high in your consideration as they share PM steels, like the Kamo. Steel alone should never really be a deciding factor, but in this case, said steel is lauded for its durability & edge retention... both attributes you are seemingly focused on. Niether is ground as robustly as the Kamo, but that can be & most likely is beneficial for you as the Kamo might be a bit too "beastly". A thinner grind will afford you a more precise knife with improved feedback.

#1: The HARUYUKI.<--link This knife's SRS-15 core steel @Hrc63 will offer you impressive edge potential with extended edge retention. I really like the profile, but if you choose the 210 in this model be aware it is on the shorter side at around 44mm tall; the 240 is much more appropriate IMO @48mm. Pay attention to the tapered design in the Yo-handle as it slims out unlike a typical Western.

#2: The TAKAMURA. <--link This knife I only see around the web in a 210. It is about 15% lighter than the Haruyuki with a more delicate grind, but again, having a high-hardness PM steel - in this case Takefu's SG-2 @Hrc62/63, you should still enjoy very respectable edge potential & retention. Of note, its 210 has a bit more height coming in a millimeter taller... yes, a mm makes a difference.

I will add in one more suggestion, of which is at the high-end of your budget. The Kanehiro G3 line<--link is a fully stainless Wa-gyuto that I have a lot of experience with, and recommend highly. The Ginsan steel is not a Powder Metallurgy High Speed Tool Steel, but it is still an impressive alloy of which is widely known to take a uniquely aggressive edge while still extending impressive edge retention when employed with appropriate final bevel angles. It is not so unique in it's design, but it has a large primary bevel which employs a noticeable convexity at the shinogi. I find this to instill an integrity of strength and durability with its full body, yet still exhibiting functional cutting prowess as a convex transitions into the thinned primary bevel.

I sincerely enjoy my connection with Kanehiro's knives, and this Hrc62 G3 line is no exception. Furthermore, I personally prefer this knife over the last two due to statistical dimensions. I prefer their heights much more, and they employ a slightly tighter radius in their belly which will lift your heel slightly higher in your rocking style.

Know this... anything you buy from CKTG is a winner.. we're just trying to dial you in with the limited information we have about you.

edit:
I had started this post last night & broke right into the draft this morning w/o seeing ATANG's & ADAM's additions. Interestingly enough, yet not surprisingly there is overlap, and I hope you find it prudent to recognize them in this swath of opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:01 pm 

That Shiro is a piece of art Mel. I may sign up for the wait list after that post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

DAN <> I've wrote about it many times. I spend so much damn time posting trying to help out as much as any post actually can that I have not done what I need to which is write dedicated reviews so I can just link to it [my opinion]. It's an interesting knife for sure. Not delicate enough for my taste, but it compensates bi-fold on the other end of the spectrum. CKTG & I have spoken about it, and they agree with a lot of my observations. A constructive criticism might be extended to Japan, and you might see a new & improved version upon restock. We'll see, but either way the knife has it's place...

Page 1 of 5 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next