It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Goko White #1 240mm Gyuto, 2 days of heavy use
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:44 pm 

taz575 wrote:The Anryu hammered performs pretty close to the Goko White #1 (workhorse), but with Aogami as the core steel :) There are some other knives out there that are heavier than a laser, and almost workhorse, but with better edge retention than White #1.

I noticed that shortly after the original post. However my heart is set on one of Shaun's knives. Especially now that he's using 52100 and got his own heat treat oven.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:36 am 

Thanks for the review! I am still in awe of how quickly this knife sharpens up. Mine arrived with a really tiny chip off the very tip of the knife. Small enough that I didn't worry about it knowing that a little time on the stones would be enough to grind the chip right out. After what literally felt like a few passes on a 1K stone I was in disbelief that the chip was already sharpened out. I ended up taking it up to an 8K edge and damn, she likes to bite and stick into my board now... wicked.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:49 am 

I already own a Richmond Laser which serves me very well indeed.
I have been looking around for a heavier 240MM Gyuto for tasks not suited for the Laser. Well then I got turned on to the forum special,so I jumped on it.
I saw the 19C27 Goko, fantastic deal, but not for me since I already have a Laser.

I let my wife use the Goko last night on an onion. She said it was more like cutting some butter. She is scared shitless about how sharp that edge is, and gave it right back to me. Actually she does not like any blade that long, she loves her 6 inch blades, but that is another story.

You guys in the trade using your knives every day need to worry about edge retention. As a home cook that is really not an issue. I have so many kitchen knives that it usually takes MONTHS before I have to sharpen one up. I actually spend more time keeping the knives my wife uses in good shape.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:56 am 

phillysco wrote:I already own a Richmond Laser which serves me very well indeed.
I have been looking around for a heavier 240MM Gyuto for tasks not suited for the Laser. Well then I got turned on to the forum special,so I jumped on it.
I saw the 19C27 Goko, fantastic deal, but not for me since I already have a Laser.

I let my wife use the Goko last night on an onion. She said it was more like cutting some butter. She is scared shitless about how sharp that edge is, and gave it right back to me. Actually she does not like any blade that long, she loves her 6 inch blades, but that is another story.

You guys in the trade using your knives every day need to worry about edge retention. As a home cook that is really not an issue. I have so many kitchen knives that it usually takes MONTHS before I have to sharpen one up. I actually spend more time keeping the knives my wife uses in good shape.

Ohhh I wish, with the amount of work on poly boards an edge just dies after a while.

But when thinking about how much product I go through, it should last a home cook about 6 months before a blade needs to be sharpened (with regular stropping of course)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:50 pm 

I actually spend more time keeping the knives my wife uses in good shape.

I second that lol!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:35 pm 

RedWattle wrote:I actually spend more time keeping the knives my wife uses in good shape.

I second that lol!

haha, when you know how to sharpen, nothing but the keenest edge is good enough.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:00 pm 

My wife gets pissed every time I sharpen her knives but I just can't help myself!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:46 am 

Hey Lunatic, Red Wattle and Jeff B
What pisses me off is she waits until the knife gets DULL, then she tells me it needs work.

So screw it, every couple of weeks I grab the ones she uses all the time, and I give each a good touch up.
I can get 3 of them touched up real good in less time than doing the full Monty on just one of them. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:38 pm 

I've got nothing to add to the review, but i'm enthralled by the greenbrier. Definitely will make a visit there some day.

If your not aware they have quite an interesting "secret" history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Greek_Island

Unfortunately they seem to have removed the pictures they had on their website (Website has apparently been redesigned). Too bad, they showed some really cool pics of the bunker internals.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:15 pm 

Just pulled the trigger on this knife should have it in a few days cant wait

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2