It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chosera vs Shaptons for my knives.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hellow my name is Josh. And was looking into buying a sharpening system and after much research and thought I've decided to go with an edge pro Apex system. My question to you is what is the difference between the chosera stones and the shapton stones. I'm sure that there both top of the line and maybe one is not better than the other. The very few knifes I have are some really cheap kitchen knife sets. Pocket knifes that have more of your high end steel. S30v, cts 204p, m390, cts xhp, s90v, cpm m4. I have been told that these types of harder steel may be a challenge to sharpen. As a novice I am not sure which stone set I should go with. And just looking for a little more info on the differences and possibly strengths and weaknesses between the chosera and shapton stones any indication you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time have a good day.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Chosera vs Shaptons for my knives.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

shaptons-vs-choseras-t4526.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

I like the Shapton Glass stones better. They're thickers, will last longer and are splash and go.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:14 am 

Hello
I bought the edge pro with chosera stones and it worked great. The stone set wore way down so I bought a set of the shapton ep stones. They also work great. I prefer the shapton stones mostly because I worry less about having enough water on them. I also have regular (non edge pro) chosera and shapton stones and as I sharpen with them, the knife edge is working in a very shallow pool of water on the stone. In the edge pro, the stone in upside down, so there is no pool of water. Because of this, I soak an squirt water onto any stone in the edge pro even if it is a splash and go stone. P.S. One of the edge pro chosera stones developed a crack. I cannot think of anything I did to make this happen. I wonder if soaking and drying out a thin stone that is glued to an aluminum plate could cause expansion-contraction issues? Perhaps a ep stone that is not completely dry might crack if it freezes?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:54 pm 

Josh,
While both brands of stones are excellent, after using both for a long time now I can highly recommend the Shapton Glass stones. I love my Choseras, don't get me wrong, the 1K Chosera is my favourite 1K stone but the Shaptons will do the trick, especially on the hard steels you mention.

They are easy to use and mine have not cracked. (In fact, the only stones besides the Shapton Glass that have never cracked are the EP stock stones).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Josh:

Stay away from the Choseras - they crack.....eventually.

The Shapton GS stones cut quicker with less dishing, and works so much better on harder steels...trust me on this.....

:)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:42 pm 

Shapton glass hands down..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:08 pm 

Ok it's Josh again. Got the edge pro Apex full monty package with the shapton stones. I've sharpened a few knifes at various angles to try to match the stock Bevals. and did Some reprofileing on a few. To grate success. Very happy with my results. The problom im haveing now is getting the tip and heel of my knifes. Seems like the stone just doesn't hit those parts at all.I've had this problom on a spyderco southard and Manix 2. Both of these knifes were ground at different angles from heel to tip so I tryed to reprofile them both. To get one even beval but seems when I have the heel of the edge parallel with the blade table it seems to work but the edge is so think there I can't just sharpen it the same area without Makeing the beval way wider than it should be. both of these knifes have sweeping bellys and I'm thinking that I need to move the heel and then the the tip parallel with the blade table to get the stone to contact the entire beval. But when I tryed to do this I cannot get a good mirror polish at all. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]