It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grinding stones...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:25 pm 

I realized that maybe I have found the best stones and a search for better might be like chasing a ghost. I'll probably try the 150 bamboo eventually but for now a belt sander wins followed by my bamboo 120 stone.

The naniwa Omura is becoming a well liked stone in my collection. It cuts fairly fast produces a nice working mud and refines its own scratch pattern rather well. It's not a beast like the bamboo 120 but does a good job for its price range.

I wish I had better things to say about the 60 grit Ume, it might work on carbon steels but for stainless it was a no-go. I still think its a flattening stone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jason,

It's ok not to like stuff. :)

For those following,

Here's the omura: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naniwaomura.html

Here's the bamboo 120: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nubatoma1.html

what kind of belt sander do you use?

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 pm 

A harbor freight 1x30, its time for a new one though mine is a bit old and used.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:18 am 
Site Admin

I got your package today Jason. I didn't have a chance to open it but I'm guessing the contents are sharp. :)

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:55 am 
Forum Moderator

Jason,

Yes it is OK to say what you think about stones. Saying you dislike or haven't found an ideal use for a stone is more than fair. Even moreso with naturals, sometimes a stone doesn't fit a situation, be it the sharpener's tastes, the steel he is working on, etc etc. Clearly no one stone answers all needs. I do find that this type of stone (60 Ume) is a good flattening stone, but not for all stones. For Shaptons it is miserable. For Choceras, Superstones and softer naturals, it's fine. But for real hard stones (Shaptons, Nakayamas, Oxuku, etc - not ideal. I think it is a good thing to help develop a collective consciousness about different stones and here conflicting and varied opinions are a good thing. I find I can 'lean' harder on the 60 ume than most stones and the higher pressure works well with this stone for me.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:53 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:I got your package today Jason. I didn't have a chance to open it but I'm guessing the contents are sharp. :)

I kept with the microbevel on them like last time but used the han-han stone for the micro, it made them very sharp.

I did one full convex too, its my version of how it should be ground to perform as a convex blade should.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:51 pm 

Good morning everyone. Regarding those low grit workhorses, such as the nubatama 60 and 120, when they do require flattening, what is the preferred method? I'm assuming most DMTs and Atomas are a no go for this task since they possess higher grits than the above mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:03 pm 

forthosewhotoil76 wrote:Good morning everyone. Regarding those low grit workhorses, such as the nubatama 60 and 120, when they do require flattening, what is the preferred method? I'm assuming most DMTs and Atomas are a no go for this task since they possess higher grits than the above mentioned.

I rub them together. For example, I used my 180 bamboo last night to flatten my 400 bamboo and my 60 Ume to flatten my 120 bamboo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:17 pm 

Thanks for the reply, Jason, I appreciate it. I'm considering getting a 60 or 120, and the next level stone I have in my collection is a 400, so I'd probably need to come up with another flattening option until I have multiple low grit stones in the arsenal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice call, Jason! What you are doing is a very classical approach.

---
Ken

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next