It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: 240mm Gyuto: Kanehiro/Hiromoto/Richmond/Kikuichi
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:37 pm 

Just a little higher than the Kanehiro is the Masamoto KS, great profile, grind and excellent cutter. A great 1-2 punch along side my Kono HD2: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/makswa24.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:39 pm 

The Kikuichi TKC is a great knife. I dont know how it stacks up to that list but for me in the kitchen I think it is a great prep knife. It is sharp and fairly thin, also it is light. I would call it pretty much stainless, nothing I have cut with it has harmed it at all. I do strop it almost daily now, but that is more because I want to than that it needs it. I do heavy prep (read 30# and up for sometimes as many as 5 different products) with this knife almost exclusively and I haven't had to sharpen it. I have had it for,oh, I guess two months. If I could only have one of my knives, it is this one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:39 am 

I've heard so much about that TKC I'm going to have to get on just out of curiosity. I thought about it at one time but stepped up to the a HD2.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:39 am 

Jeff B wrote:I've heard so much about that TKC I'm going to have to get on just out of curiosity. I thought about it at one time but stepped up to the a HD2.

Do it, I don't think you could possibly be sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:45 am 

The Kikuichi 240 is the knife I use everyday at work, and I am the most comfortable with it. I would recommend that knife in a heartbeat to anyone looking for an all around great knife. None of the worries about maintenance like the AS, but still has the ability to hold a steep edge, for a long time. I hit the stones once every month or two, and it's more because I like sharpening than because it needs it.

I love Wa-handled knives, but there is something about the Kikuichi that feels sturdier than the other knives I own:

Takeda 240 Gyuto
Henckels 8 inch Chef
Kanehiro Santoku 165
Tojiro 270 bread knife
Hiromoto 150 petty

The Takeda is so gnarly looking, and it feels amazing in your hand, but the blade is so high that it doesn't fit on line, so I keep it at home so I have something to look forward to. I hate to admit it, but I think I like my Kikuichi more than my Takeda. In my opinion the AS is incredible, but I think getting a clad knife is a better choice for a professional environment. If you are getting a knife like any of these, get stones.

I know that the Takeda wasn't in your list, but I was just trying to show how impressed I am with the Kikuichi compared to another top quality knife.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:57 pm 

Jeff B wrote:I've heard so much about that TKC I'm going to have to get on just out of curiosity. I thought about it at one time but stepped up to the a HD2.

I heard that Kono HD and Kikuichi TKC are the same blade, just different handles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:59 pm 

This is some great information, and I'm definitely taking it into account.

With regard to the pro vs home inquiry: in the immediate future, it will only be used in a home environment, but it's likely that at some point soonish it'll see some commercial use.

For now, one further question: I hadn't looked into the Masakage Yuki before, but after SteveG mentioned it, I took a look and was impressed. Does anyone have info on how this would compare to the two it seems most similar to from my original list, the Kanehiro and Kikuichi TKC? Obviously the handle will push the center of balance towards the blade, though unlike the Kane, it's an oval—rather than octagonal—handle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Yuki is a similar style knife to the Kanehiro, but the Kanehiro AS core steel will have longer edge retention vs. the Shirogami #2 in the Yuki. I find oval vs. octagonal almost irrelevant on Wa handles - though I mainly use a pinch grip. If edge retention is a primary consideration for you, the Kanehiro AS is #1, then TKC probably #2, then Yuki #3, strictly in order of edge retention.

The TKC will require the least immediate maintenance of the three in the trenches. They're all great knives, but different, of course. Your first big decisions are Western vs. Wa/semi-stainless vs. stainless clad reactive core. If Wa, then core steel vs. cost, and the more subtle differences like aesthetics, height, profile, weight, grind, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:42 am 

toddnmd wrote:I heard that Kono HD and Kikuichi TKC are the same blade, just different handles.

You would be hard pressed to convince me of that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:17 am 

Jeff B wrote:
toddnmd wrote:I heard that Kono HD and Kikuichi TKC are the same blade, just different handles.

You would be hard pressed to convince me of that.

Won't know until you try, I guess. I find that interesting also though.

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next