It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Wa-petty or suji for a do-everything knife?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:31 pm 

Does anyone here use something like a 210mm wa-petty or 210-270mm sujihiki for a general-purpose knife? If so, what characteristics do you find most important for this role? And what size?

I'm interested in getting another suji eventually, largely just for something different, but I don't slice large cuts of meat so I feel like 270+ lengths may not be useful to me. I mostly eat fish/chicken and I'm a home cook.

I have a 210mm Minamoto-Kanemasa suji in 2N carbon steel I largely use to trim and slice chicken breasts. It behaves well in that role, but I find it a little too flexible for vegetable tasks, though I have at times grabbed it to do small amounts of prep (an onion, a few apples, etc.). It is great for tomatoes but it isn't confidence inspiring on anything as hard as an onion because the tip wants to deflect.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Wa-petty or suji for a do-everything knife?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

ESTAYTON <> Nope... I don't use pettys. Gyutos are dubbed the manual food processor for a reason... they are the general-purpose knife.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:10 pm 

If you have a 210 petty I would definitely look to get a gyuto. Much more versatile, why buy another petty.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:19 pm 

If you really want a stiff 210 petty (I would go for a 210 gyuto personally) take a look at this one - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tskasu21.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:35 pm 

So I'm always up for another gyuto, of course. I have a few including the 210mm gyuto from the Kajihara line mark suggested. I'll happily scratch suji/petty off my list but I was just curious if anyone liked them for a multipurpose knife.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:03 pm 

What I use that I guess I consider my multipurpose knife is a kono hd2 210. It's big enough to do most everything on a board but yet it seems small enough to actually be a large petty if that makes any sense. It's small and nimble enough to do some work in hand, and thin enough to do slicing well on smaller cuts. It's just a nice smaller knife that I seem to use more than anything else when I'm itk. I'm not using this in a professional environment just at home.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

RED <> Professionally, I quite often use a 270 gyuto as my food processor, a 210 gyuto as my "petty, and a 95mm as my parer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:51 pm 

Mel totally makes sense to me...
Guess I never stated, but I meant kono hd 210 gyuto.

Last edited by RedWattle on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:08 pm 

"If you really want a stiff 210 petty (I would go for a 210 gyuto personally) take a look at this one - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tskasu21.html"

Haven't used this one, but I was looking at it and the specs make it look to be fairly robust.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:54 pm 

estayton wrote:...I have a 210mm Minamoto-Kanemasa suji in 2N carbon steel I largely use to trim and slice chicken breasts. It behaves well in that role, but I find it a little too flexible for vegetable tasks...

Which is exactly where you need a gyuto. I like Reds recommendation of the Kono HD2 gyuto. So thin and light, runs about 203mm, almost as nimble as a long petty but will handle most chopping tasks.

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next