It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:29 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 210 aogami gyuto wanted
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hello! I love your website and have bought some MAC knives, but I'm looking for a 210mm aogami gyuto. Which brands do you recommend? I'm looking for under 200$. Thanks for your input!

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 210 aogami gyuto wanted
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:30 pm 

Kohetsu Kohetsu Kohetsu Kohetsu Kohetsu Kohetsu Kohetsu Kohetsu Kohetsu Kohetsu Kohetsu

I can't say this enough, amazing knife, AMAZING.

Everyone I lend it to at work is just amazed and they struggle to give it back.

I would consider other knives but this knife is too good to pass up on. Get one and get one NOW! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:45 pm 

That is a good recommendation. Another option is the Richmond laser. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu21gy1.html
This will be slightly thinner. Fit and finish on these are very nice. With this one you get a thinner knife with a better handle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kohetsu is thinner overall at the spine and performs like a true laser. AS Laser is crazy thin behind the edge and then widens up a bit with some convexing to help with food release.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:24 pm 

If the poster is on the site, what is the primary purpose of the knife...beater, all rounder, finesse player etc...I have owned the Richmond AS laser (which is not really a laser) and really liked it. Kind of a jack of all trades, not so thin you feel like it has to be babied, but definately some great potential to max out the steel.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

JOHN DOE <> We have some really anxious members that just looove to help, but we really can't objectively w/o knowing a thing about you or what you want out of a knife.

Help us help you...

"We highly encourage our customers to ask product questions about knives here. To help you, we need a few questions answered so we can tailor a knife recommendation to your specific needs and requirements. When you ask about a knife please include as much as you can but at minimum answer these simple questions:

1. Are you right handed?
    2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
    3. What size knife are you looking for?
    4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
    5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
    6. How much did you want to spend?
    7. Do you know how to sharpen?"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:05 pm 

This is the original poster. I'm interested more in a finesse knife, I'm right handed,and I'd like a thin blade. I can sharpen but if you can recommend stones that work well for Aogami, I'd be interested in hearing. I'm also interested in Blue #1 steel and how that compares. The kohetsu looks nice, but I think I'd rather have one that's not clad in stainless, unless you can convince me otherwise. How is the moritaka series?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

PAL <> The Moritaka Supreme Series is not B#1; it is Blue Super, like the Richmonds. The Kohetsu & ASLaser are stainless-clad while the Moritaka is reactive iron-clad. Blue Super is premium steel that is typically heat treated to higher hardness, and as such exhibits great edge retention. Edge potential is going to be so close on all the whites & blues it's sort of moot, but the AS will definitely take more time on the stones.

You are going to have a hard time finding a monosteel B#1.

Your not going to get much thinner than the Kohetsu, and it is a really great knife. My earlier comment about the Blue Super taking longer on the stones applies slightly less to the Kohetsu 210 because it's SO thin on the edge... just not much steel there to grind. It's a fun knife to use with an upswept spine & smooth radius profile.

@Hrc65, the Moritaka takes a really scary edge, but I've found if you bring it to that extreme you have to be vigilant in your knife handling as it's brittle nature must not be ignored. The Mori is a stiff knife with a rustic aesthetic. I enjoy their knives a lot, and they are the thickest of these 3 mentioned.

A ZAKURI<--link is a lower price point Blue#1 @CKTG, and it is iron-clad.

A TAKAGI<--link is a rare monosteel B#2.

An interesting Blue#1, albeit iron-clad, is the MURATA BUHO<--link. It has an asymmetric semi-concave grind that I liken to a single bevel w/o the steering issues.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

All carbon, I love the Tanaka Sekiso series! Blue #2 steel, great grind, great edge retention, laser thin behind the edge.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:58 pm 

I've seen a number of complaints about the reactivity of the AS and iron cladding on the Moritakas discoloring food.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next