It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Messermeister 8pc roll
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:52 pm 

I just got this thing today, although I didn't purchase it from CKTG. I bought it because I have a AC Restaurant Week competition on Sunday. I didn't want/ don't need my whole kit with me.

So OOTB everything is fine. Looks nice, seems ok. Certainly not as stiff as 1000d nylon, I think in the neighborhood of 500-600, which is why this issue coming up is so profound,

I load it up with 3 knives, my hone, a peeler, tongs and some plating stuff. Still looks good, seems ok. I put my Benriner mandoline in the mesh pocket, looks good, seems fine.

I zip it up and go to fold it. The zipper breaks right in half and I was thinking, maybe they can self repair. They do not. What the crap. For such a popular knife roll, I expected more, especially because it is almost twice as much as CKTG version of the exact same roll.

This thing was brand new, and not really that stiff, I could fold it in half when it was empty and rolled up no problem, How can a new, completely unstressed zipper just fail on the first go? (Rhetorical question, lol)

Should have just bought from CKTG, in fact I think that I will. Lesson learned. I'm returning this piece of junk. I'm hoping for the sake of Messermeister's future business that this was just a fluke.

If anyone else can give a recommendation of an 8 piece roll, or has experience with CKTG's version, it would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Messermeister 8pc roll
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:06 am 

Strange. Mine has lasted almost 2 years now. I don't throw it around like a toy, but I don't cradle it like a baby or anything. I pack mine to the brim, too. All 8 slots used for knives and a hone, and totally random crap in the mesh.
Before this, I kinda just had a d-i-y project on an old backpack where I sewed my own slots for knives into the main compartment. Didn't last long, but I loved that there was plenty of space for other stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:38 am 

UPDATE....

I decided rather than go through the hassle of a return, that I would just fix the zipper. It isn't a difficult thing to do. I reset the zipper onto the teeth of the track and clamped it on. Zip/zip worked fine. So I thought just to be sure I pulled it and tugged it every way it would go; much harder than it would ever be used. It worked fine.

I walked away and came back a few minutes later, as if to surprise it, zip/zip, still worked fine.....(a bit of humor)

I thought, problem solved load it up!

So I went through the whole bit of putting everything in it and I go to roll it up. THE ZIPPER FAILED AGAIN! Same zipper only this time, instead of coming off the track, it broke right in half. definitely have to return it now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:24 pm 

I'm sure all manufacturers get a bad part now and then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:11 pm 

Jeff B wrote:I'm sure all manufacturers get a bad part now and then.

Pretty much. That's why companies have return departments (or similar) and warranties. What differentiates companies is not necessarily if their stuff breaks or not, but how they handle it when it happens because it will happen.

Even Rolls Royce has a service dept. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:37 am 

If you wanna go with the chef knives to go one it's fine, just like every other knife roll out there just cheaper.

I can definitely see me upgrading though, the slots for the handle aren't very snug. You get what you pay for I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:48 am 

I'm just going to send it back, not sure if I will replace it with the same color yet, It had to be just a fluke, I have seen too many of them in service for it to be anything else.

I guess I was just more surprised than anything else and this review isn't necesarily a negative. Everything else about the bag was copasetic.

I will add that blade guards fit more snugly in the roll than sayas do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:23 am 

I use blade guards in mine. Those felt-lined ones you can find around. They get the job done. Seems likes sayas would be nice since they're sturdy, but they'd be bulky and conflict with the lightness and portability of a roll.

It had to be a fluke. Like you said, Messy rolls are just too common, and I've never heard of anything like this with my coworkers that use them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:59 pm 

irwinnar wrote:I use blade guards in mine. Those felt-lined ones you can find around. They get the job done. Seems likes sayas would be nice since they're sturdy, but they'd be bulky and conflict with the lightness and portability of a roll.

It had to be a fluke. Like you said, Messy rolls are just too common, and I've never heard of anything like this with my coworkers that use them.

I usually carry to work a Naikiri, pairing knife or petty, 210 gyuto and a 240 gyuto. Preferably one of the gyutos is full SS. Also a Steel.

with two sayas and knife guards on the rest my roll isn't bulky but the sayas do add a little width and length to the knife.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]