It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 6 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Gyuto Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:32 pm 

I might want more belly than the Ginga, and a taller knife? One that would still have a Japanese handle. Jon from JKI tells me the soft wood is better for long term durability, which makes perfect sense. So maybe I should just hold on to the knife, get used to something different, and see how I feel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ya gotta start somewhere...otherwise you'll have no basis for comparison when looking at other Japanese knives. Get to it with that thing! ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:08 pm 

What if I went down a step to the 210 for the Takeda, Melampus? And how do you compare the Anryu you mentioned to the Ginga? What differences are there?

I'm really wrestling with returning the Ginga for a different gyuto.

Lastly, would you recommend that I not use a rocking technique on any of these knives and just immediately start learning a more japanese cutting style? Or would any of these knives still compliment my current technique?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:29 pm 

There is a point to which your technique may need to change: just generally to avoid damaging a more delicate edge. However I think what the Japanese knives really give you is more flexibility to change to other techniques as you need them. Really you should fit the tool to your technique, rather than the other way around. Certainly you can broaden your range of techniques as you find it advantageous but I don't see a reason to force yourself to make a big change right away.

Only you can say what you are comfortable with. My view is if you feel more comfortable with a taller knife, then that should be your first priority. Never mind whether it seems necessary to anyone else: if you are more comfortable then you will be faster/safer/more efficient. If it is really bothering you, then maybe consider getting an Artifex, the tallest you can find. If you like to rock, the Takeda may not have enough belly for your tastes. It may be a knife that would force you to make the adjustment in cutting style (disclaimer, I haven't used it, I am judging based on the pictures).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:56 pm 

I can see the reasoning behind that.

So lets say I still wanted the sharpest knife I could get, that could retain its edge for a long time, with a bit more belly than the Ginga, still with a Japanese handle. What would you guys recommend? Or is the Ginga stainless I picked up the best compromise?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:44 pm 

The ginga is the standard gyuto shape. If you really want tall(~61mm) with a big belly take a look at this one http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bobkramer.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:08 pm 

GlitchKing wrote:I can see the reasoning behind that.

So lets say I still wanted the sharpest knife I could get, that could retain its edge for a long time, with a bit more belly than the Ginga, still with a Japanese handle. What would you guys recommend? Or is the Ginga stainless I picked up the best compromise?

Given those criteria I'd have to steer you toward something I haven't used: Richmond Addict in stainless or in SLD, a semi-stainless tool steel. Ask Mark for the tallest he's got or go for the "personal shopper" option if you want detailed measurements. You can send him an email directly to ask exactly what he can do for you, if you like. But that looks like a good profile given what you are looking for, with plenty of curve for rocking, and at a possible ~56-57 mm tall about as tall as you'll find this side of a Takeda. The Kramer is another option, but western-handled.

Can you estimate based on what you currently use whether a height in that range would be comfortable?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:57 pm 

Takeda Classic Gyuto 240mm Medium: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagyas24.html

Very tall and enough belly to rock if you like.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:43 pm 

$150 on a decent carbon knife. $100 on stones, etc...if you don't have them.

Start basic to get used to carbon maintenance, sharpening, pinch grip, etc. Whatever works for you.
Then drop some $.

I assume that people who drop big $ on a carbon knife are fairly upset when they accidentally leave it wet overnight. :?
Learn on an affordable knife.

This Japanese knife thing can become an obsession, so it won't end with one and only knife.

Page 6 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6