It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gyuto Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:51 pm 

I do use a pinch grip, I just developed an unusual grip from being in the kitchen. It might be a moot issue, but wanting a taller knife out of preference, combined with the softness/apparent quality of the wood, it has me wanting a different blade.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:52 pm 

It sounds like you're describing a standard, basic wa handle. Gingas have a good reputation for fit and finish, and you may just not be used to the basic wa. They generally come without stain, and something of a rough sanding to make them grippy when wet. The handles generally seem to be durable, despite how they look and feel .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:54 pm 

Try to find a Harner. Tall, great reputation for handles, and great reputation generally. I have not used one, just going on rep. (Sorry Melampus)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:14 pm 

Ah, yeah I can definitely understand the preference part for sure. If you want a bigger knife, you want a bigger knife. I totally understand that and have gone through it myself. lol

The handle on the other hand is probably something you will find with a lot of Japanese wa handled knives. Of course the ones Mark sells with the custom handles done by Isaiah will be different and probably more of what you are looking for, but Japanese knife makers seem to care more about the performance of the blade and not so much about the handles. There are always exceptions of course. ;)

Bare handles can be sanded and treated with stains or even just mineral oil and/or beeswax. You could treat the handle with mineral oil and then apply the beeswax to the handle (it would help if the handle was warm, doesn't have to be very hot) and then buff it out when the handle cools off to room temp. The oil would treat the wood and the beeswax would help seal it and harden it up some so it doesn't feel so soft. Or you could use a mix, like a butcher block conditioner on the room temp handle. Same general effect as far as treating and sealing the wood but it won't really harden the surface as much. I think there are also other food safe oils you can use that will harden while they cure as well.

Of course there is also the option to have the knife re-handled by one of the skilled handle makers here on the forum. They do some beautiful work and it isn't that expensive considering you will have a unique, one-of-a-kind handle handmade just for you.

Lastly, there is always the classifieds section. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you are looking for an AEB-L Addict2, I have 2 here that I am thinning out for CKTG and doing custom handles on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:28 pm 

Sorry, lost sight of your budget, Harner is probably not an option. Tim makes awesome handles, thinned out addict with his handle would be a solid choice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

GlitchKing wrote:"Unfortunately many of the Richmond knives are sold out, so I guess I'll consider getting the Takeda."

Not exactly sure what you mean. The Konosuke extra-tall & both Addicts, stainless & reactive,<--link are all available.

Also, bear in mind, when we say the Takeda is tall... we mean CLEAVER TALL.

LucaBrasi wrote:"(Sorry Melampus)"

LUCA <> Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:10 pm 

I saw that the Addicts with the darker handles were sold out, but I guess thats something I can ignore.

And Melampus, if its only a few centimeters taller, can it really be that bad? Wouldnt that leave the Takeda more in the range I'm looking for?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

MM's... not centimeters. A Takeda is not a few mms taller, it is dramatically taller. The 60mm quote that you see floating around is an approximate, and a modest quote at that. They are hand made and vary, but the 240's are laughably tall.

It's hard for me to comment on this because I despise 240 Takeda Gyutos. I take offense to their height. They are humongous Santokus - cleavers with a pointed tip tacked on the end, and they are absolutely useless to me. JUST ME! They are top sellers, and I guess that must be for a reason; though I can't fathom for the life of me what that is. I don't like how they cut, and ironically I'm seeing some complaints about grinds just pop up. These are only 2 very isolated incidents out of thousands of knives, but I don't like the knife... I just don't like how it cuts.. period. Other styles, even other sizes, different story, but 240 "Gyuto"... NEVER.

I'm not quite as large as LUCA, but I do have catchers mitt hands that are pretty scarred up as that is apparently pertinent somehow, and I won't use any knife over 53-54mm tall. On a 270, maybe I'll push up to 55, but grudgingly. I feel you lose way too much dexterity swinging around all that useless steel. I want as least in my hand as possible to do the job, perfectly.

If you want the darker handle on the left, it can be installed for $60. BUBINGA INSTALL<--link

If you want the custom handle/ferrule on the right with custom blade thinning, it can be had, as well. TAZ575<--link

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:22 pm 

I see. Thank you for the input Melampus. I appreciate it because its so hard to know without having the chance to hold these knives in my hand.

I do not like Santoku's so if a Takeda feels like a Santoku with a pointed edge, I would be disappointed.

I guess I'm torn on what to do all over again.

Page 5 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next