It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gyuto Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:03 pm 

So I just opened up my GG, and it doesn't seem tall enough for me. If hate to return it, but would you guys suggest the Takeda for a taller blade? Is the Takeda more "chippy" than the Ginga?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

How tall is the GG at the heel?

How tall do you want the knife - what's your requirement?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:29 pm 

Its 52 at the heel. I'm not sure just how tall I need it, but I know Im going to have some issues with my knuckles with the GG.

Also, I was rather disappointed with the wood quality of the handle and saya. Has anyone else experienced this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:53 pm 

52mm is on the tall side for gyutos in my experience. Most of mine are around 52-53mm and I'm not sure that you will see the difference you want with an extra mm or two. I don't know of anything between 52-53 and Takeda's 60mm offhand, but there may be something else in that range.

Edit: It looks like Richmond knives might be your ticket.
In 240mm length the Richmond SLD (under Addict) comes in at:
Height at heel: 56.7mm
The AEB-L Richmond Addict seems to be:
blade depth at base: 54.91mm
which might be just enough to make a difference for you. (And I see as I was editing this Steve made the same suggestion.)

Last edited by estayton on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Glitch - unless you have really big hands and/or the handle/neck are unusually large on that knife, 52mm should be tall enough for almost anyone on board clearance. I recommended the Tojiro DP 210 3 piece set to a friend who's hands are much larger than mine and he hasn't mentioned any problems with clearance - that knife is only about 43mm at the heel.

If you do want more height - the Richmond Addict series are normally sized to about 55mm at the heel. There are other 240/270's that are taller at the heel as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:30 pm 

Interesting. This is my first Japanese style knife that I've bought. I guess the knives I got used to were just different. Unfortunately many of the Richmond knives are sold out, so I guess I'll consider getting the Takeda.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

That Addict SLD is a really nice knife.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:04 pm 

If you haven't tried your new knife yet then you might want to just to make sure knuckle clearance will be an issue. I have decently large hands (not massive rock crushing catcher's mitts mind you, but larger than average ;) ) and around 50mm is the sweet spot for me. The Tojiro DP gyuto at 43mm lead to some knuckle contact with the board, but all of my other gyutos in the 50-ish range leave my knuckles clear of the board and just feel "right". Now I'm not saying it will be the same for you, as you aren't me and vice versa, just that you might want to try it first if you haven't already. :)

A small disclaimer: I mainly use a pinch grip for over 95% of my cutting, but there are times I hold on to the handle with a racket grip so knuckle clearance is still important to me so I still check to make sure they are comfortable for me to use that way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:27 pm 

Fair enough, I havent had to cut with it yet. I just took it out of the box at work. Its possible I'll be fine. My other big issue is with the wood quality of the handle and saya. The wood seems far too soft, without a stain on it or anything.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:48 pm 

I would bet this is about grip. Forgive me if I'm wrong. I know that for me, just about every knife I've handled (excluding Chinese cleavers) would lead to knuckle contact if I didn't use a pinch grip and instead gripped the handle with all fingers, including the 55mm Artifex tall, and all the western machete/chefs out there. With a pinch grip, my 50mm TKC works out just fine. Anything shorter would be problematic, but this size works for the hands of a 6'4" inch guy with swollen, scar tissued offensive line knuckles.

If you use a pinch grip and still can't clear the board with 52mm, then you and your hands are monstrous and please don't hurt me for making the assumption. Or maybe you don't want to use a pinch grip, which is fine. Takeda or even a Butch Harner custom would be the way to go, his seem to be very tall.

Page 4 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next