It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Knife Pass Around Primer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:04 am 

I got the bug to do a pass around last week and after a brief private discussion I have received approval to go ahead with it. Thus, I will hold the sign-up this coming Sunday. I believe this is the first public pass around on CKTG's forum so I wanted to post some details about how the process will work ahead of time for those that haven't been part of a pass around before. I'm going to keep the exact knife a secret until the sign-up, but it will be a 240mm gyuto that I believe most have not handled. Thread title will be "_______(knife name) pass around".

I have set forth a few rules below to keep things moving efficiently and include as many members as possible while still mitigating risk of being scammed. I'm firm on these rules this time. We'll see how things go... I may own a "few" :roll: knives so if all goes well we can make a few adjustments if necessary for the next go round.

RULES:
1. Active knife enthusiast only - member for min 3 months, 25 total posts and 3 posts in the last 30 days (only posts prior to this post will be counted)
2. Continental U.S. Only - sorry, but international shipping sucks
3. max 10 participants
4. Each participant will have one week with the knife
5. Each participant will be responsible for packaging and shipping with insurance to the next person - usually $10-$20
6. Post publicly or PM me upon receiving shipment or prior to shipping
7. Sharpen/steel/strop as needed, but please follow original bevel (NO profile and/or geometry changes)
8. Make your best effort to pass along the knife and knife box in as good of condition as possible
9. I will organize participant order for the most efficient shipping(least miles between)
10. Have fun!

TO PARTICIPATE:
1. Meet and agree to all rules posted above
2. Post publicly in the sign-up thread this Sunday
3. PM me with shipping information after you post publicly
4. First 10 that meet all of the above are in

The tiny print makes it seem more official doesn't it? :geek:
This is my own knife that I purchased for my private use. I am doing this pass around at my own risk. CKTG is not is not sponsoring, endorsing or in any way affiliated with this pass around. As such I reserve the right change any/all of the above listed rules/requirements at any time without prior notice.

Post subject: Re: Knife Pass Around Primer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:19 am 

It's really rad that this concept has made it to this forum. As much as I wish I could participate, it's your knife so they're your rules.

Just wanted to say thank you anyway : )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:27 am 

Cool! Yeah, I've seen this in other forums. I read this one everyday but I don't post much. Still I'm excited to see peoples reviews and impressions of whatever knife you decide to choose. Hopefully this will give me the incentive to post more so I can participate in the next one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:44 am 

Cool idea, A great oppurtunity to learn something.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:17 am 

Great idea and good luck. I will state with caution, I have done two passarounds on a different forum, each an epic fail resulting in me donating my knives. I hope this forum can restore my faith.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:58 pm 

That sucks Kalaeb! Its a great idea to expose more people to different knives. However, it relies upon people to do the right thing which unfortunately isn't always in their nature :( I hope WE can turn it around!

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:17 pm 

This is a great idea. I hope we are able to work things out so this can go smoothly. Might save my marriage if I can try a knife instead of getting the itch to buy one every couple months. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:55 pm 

Love this idea. I am definitely in when it comes around but I would like to request being right before or just after someone with more sharpening experience than I. I have a horse leather and balsa strop that I can touch up on if needed, but I would not want to risk the bevel on your knife for full sharpening just yet. Let me know if that is ok or not. I am really interested in this so I can start trying different geometry's/grinds/handle types to see what I like best.

Thanks for offering this up!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:09 pm 

I wish I could at this point.
However I'm now officially in the middle of packing / moving / finding housing in West Viriginia :(

Hopefully I can get in on the next one :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:45 pm 

awesome idea!! making me wish I wasn't hidden all the way up here in Canada :(

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next