It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:28 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Richmond GT Artifex Wa Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:01 pm 

Thoughts about this knife? I know it was made by fujiwara with their FKM steel, but I have no experience with fujiwara knives. I was thinking of picking it up when I order some sayas just for a funsies knife.

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

Post subject: Re: Richmond GT Artifex Wa Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

I posted this in the last day or so in another thread:

"That Richmond Artifex Wa 240 is thin, but not as thin as the Kono. The Kono Hd is much better steel also. That Artifex is a bit short at the heel as well for a 240. It's a good knife, but the there's a reason the Kono costs more. If you're trying to get into that style of knife inexpensively, then it might be a good option."

You can see my rating/review on the comments page. I wish it were taller, but if you want something to play around with, maybe try different sharpening techniques, see what the Funayuki/Gyuto profile is about, it's a good choice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

For the price it's hard to beat. It's got a nice handle on it and a nice blade shape if you like a shorter gyuto like the funayuki gyustos that Steve mentioned. The latest batch I got were a little taller than the first big bunch we got. I should put the new specs on the page when I get back.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

BTW the 210 version of this knife is pretty far along. They will be pretty much the exact same blade as the western fujiwara. It should be a popular knife at the price point of about $80.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:29 pm 

Mark I thought you were in Florida and wanted us to leave you alone ;)

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:52 pm 

ya mark! go tan~
to the op, fujiwara knives are fantastic for the price, great grinds good steel and f+f. im sure the Richmond version has all the same traits just a bit different blade shape. get one, they aren't expensive and will be fun to play with!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Great news on the 210 version. The FKM 210 blade profile is just about perfect. That's going to be a light knife w/the Wa handle!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Fujiwara's stainless steel is a darn nice steel for the money. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the knife if it fit my criteria else where.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:56 pm 

What about comparing the Richmond to the Goko Damascus. Which steel is the better?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:34 pm 

roljknife wrote:What about comparing the Richmond to the Goko Damascus. Which steel is the better?

It is a bit like comparing white #1 to maybe Blue Super. Not an exact comparison to those two of course, just in the sense that each is a nice steel wanted for their specific characteristics. AEB-L should take a finer and better overall edge due to a finer grain structure (it was made for razors) while the 19C27 is a purpose built abrasion/wear resistant steel (it was made for things like industrial cardboard cutters) that will keep its edge longer however it might not take as fine an edge as the AEB-L. A trade-off of sorts that I doubt a normal home user would really notice. It is possible though that the AEB-L is easier to sharpen though because of 19C27's wear resistance, but still that is considered a feature of 19C27 so I can't really call it a negative. In the end it isn't really a question of which is better, but which is better for you. Neither is inherently better overall, just different due to their characteristics.

Now in the case of a steel like VG10 or the Fujiwara stainless, both AEB-L and 19C27 should be better steels as they would likely beat both of the former in just about every category.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next