It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: A modest suggestion?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:00 pm 

Help us new guys :D !

OK, so there I was, avid amateur chef (ie. loves to cook) that had spent some bucks on what I thought were good (insert your Williams-Sonoma/etc. bought brand name here) knives for kitchen use. The box set came with a "sharpening steel", which I used religiously to keep a "sharp" edge (I knew no better at this point)...I got frustrated because the knives aren't sharp (surprise!). There is no local sharpening service (I spent a week at the Culinary Institute for fun and they had a guy that would come by weekly and sharpen student's knives...so I thought this was how it was done), which lead me to search for an answer and I found CKTG (whoohoo! :) ). With the helpful guidance of our host (years ago) I got a set of stones and was good to go....

Which brings me to now...I want to take the plunge and start investing in some quality knives...I take a look at what is available here and think I must have to learn a new language to shop! I spent yesterday looking around the net for descriptions of steels and learned what white/blue/154cm/ats34/etc. means and then found a Japanese version of CKTG that described various blade styles...so now I'm a tiny bit less overwhelmed. I really appreciate the "let us help you select the knife you are looking for" thread and the parameters requested, but is there a desire on anyone's part to put together (or point us newbies to) a primer on the basics?

I'm an old fart and love to do research and looked for a book on the subject, but came up empty...I was just thinking that it might help the new-knife-shopper to land here and have a one-stop-shop experience...

Post subject: Re: A modest suggestion?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rickysa - Thanks for the info. I put together 40 minutes of knife educational videos for Mark a while back. They're kind of buried on the site, but go to this page and watch the 1st two videos: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiknedvi.html. They're a little long, but stick with it. I hope this might fill in some gaps for you. I know a lot more now than I did when putting these together, so who knows, a re-do and a breakdown into smaller chunks might be a good future project. We'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:05 pm 

Maybe having a small section on the site that has those vids easily accessible for viewing would help. Perhaps even a definitions page would be beneficial.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:07 pm 

Or we could sticky them to the top of the suggestion forum?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

The old knife forum had a good "Knife Terms" sticky that was helpful for newbies. Maybe we should make something similar here. I would be happy to also add the info to the website if we made something coherent and helpful.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:52 pm 

We probably should make a "new user guide to" terms, link a couple videos etc...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:23 pm 

When I started learning about knives, finding good information about steel characteristics and terminalogy was a scattered search across the web. Haveing this information available at CKTG and the forum would help round out the information needed for building a sturdy knife knowledge foundation. I would love a "Knife Terms" sticky on the forum, including a discussion on steel types and other metallurgical importances that influence knife purchases.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:51 pm 

thegingerninja.abq wrote:I would love a "Knife Terms" sticky on the forum, including a discussion on steel types and other metallurgical importances that influence knife purchases.

I think a terms guide would be great, but a discussion on steels could fill a forum on its own. lol Maybe a steel "definition" page or addition to the "definitions" page with a simple explanation (like a sentence or two, paragraph at most) would be a good place to start as a first step for new buyers. I also think it should be grouped into carbon, stainless, and maybe even semi-stainless.

A short "quick care" guide might also be helpful to answer questions I have seen regarding the care of carbon knives. It might also alleviate some of the worries and reservations people new to carbon steels might have towards them when they see carbon steels are actually pretty easy to take care of. Just a general guide is needed, not a dissertation of different makers versions of the same steels or anything that complex. lol

I am a firm believer in "K.I.S.S." so it should all be kept very simple. It is already confusing enough when trying to decide on which knife to buy without it being compounded by information intended to help out. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:14 pm 

Well lets make it happen then....

What should we include in a "Newbie Guide"
Steel Types, short description, this can be broken down into sub categories... suggestions here.
Grinds, short description of what a grind is.
Bevel... very helpful
Handles, western versus non western, again sub categories.

Maybe basic knife types, gyuto versus santoku? etc..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:50 pm 

An alphabetical list of terms like belly, machi, choil, even heel and spine.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next