It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:41 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Did an 70/30 grind today
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:44 am 

I'm not Aaron Gibson so I think I'll stick to 15* ;)

Does 10* roll over faster? How much sharper would 10* be?

I'm not looking for a number but more of an opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:04 am 

Lunatic wrote:Does 10* roll over faster? How much sharper would 10* be?

Yes, the thinner the edge the faster it will deform, but j-knives in general are more up keep. I believe Jeff said it best "A Ferrari requires more up keep than a Honda, isn't that part of the attraction?" ;)

I couldn't give you a number if I tried. Personal perception plays such a huge roll it's impossible to give any concrete numbers. I keep most of my j-knives around 10dps, but I'm just a lowly home cook so edge retention and/or chipping don't concern me... as I enjoy sharpening and I have more than a few backups :roll:

The only real way to know is continue down the rabbit hole and give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:44 am 

I have one knife on which I have opened up the right side, probably to around 70/30 or 80/20, largely because I like the asymmetrical appearance on the knife. I haven't noticed a huge improvement in cutting that I can attribute specifically to the grind rather than my sharpening skill improving as well. Currently it is roughly the same angle on each side but offset with some convexing on the right as well, and the next project will be to go a little steeper on the angle.

It is never good enough.

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2