It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Filleting fish
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:27 pm 

Hi,
I am a chef in Providence, Rhode Island and have been using Japanese knives for a long time.

I am just wondering what is a good fish filleting knife. I am currently using my Hattori petty to fillet fish.
I know the honesukis are great for it but im looking for more of a flexible knife (I have never used one before, so mind my knowledge about honesukis

I am not specifically looking for a Japanese knife but it would be great if it would be one.

I am so on a budget.

I have looked into http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpbokn15.html and wondering if its as flexible as the http://www.chefknivestogo.com/wugrpriibokn.html(which I've used before)

Thank you very much.

Post subject: Re: Filleting fish
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:01 am 

From what I've read http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riarfikn18.html is the only knife that describes it as having some flex.

However there is a very easy way to choose the perfect knife for you.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kncose.html

That link if purchased will allow you to select from a selection of knives and get all the specs on the knives.

I believe most of us here on the forums use Deba style knives for filleting. But those are used in a much different manner than flexible fillet knives.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:16 am 

Thank you very much for the information :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:17 pm 

I don't know if you've found the information you were looking for, or if you will be back to read this post. I can't answer your question of comparing the stiffness of the two knives you list. I can however provide a generic answer to your general question regarding fillet knives. You stated to are not interested in a deba which is a Japanese fish butcher knife. You accidentally stated a honesuki which is specific for poultry. You stated you are interested in a flexible knife and you are on a budget. The knives you linked to are boning knives and not specifically fillet knives. Generally, fillet knives are more flexible than boning knives. There are different flexes available in boning knives ranging from stiff, semi flexible and flexible but generally they are less flexible than a fillet knife. You never stated what fish you will be filleting however one of the knives you asked about has a 5" blade. Make sure you are sizing it correctly to your needs. The artifex fillet that lunatic referred is a good suggestion and if you are on a tight budget, there is nothing wrong with the victorinox for $20. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fofikn7.html however, this is currently out of stock. Without more info from you , a more detailed recommendation cannot really be made. These are just assumptions. I hope this helps and if it causes more confusion, post a few more questions about what you are really looking for if it's more than just wanting to compare the two knives you listed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

The boning knife and 150mm petty from the Artifex line have some flex; I can also regrind them so they are thinner and more flexible overall. Nice if you like a 6" blade! The 180mm fillet knife should also work well for you, too. Gonna try a Hankotsu in the Artifex line, too, I like the blade curve to it.

The Gokujo from Tojiro got some good reviews as a filleting knife IIRC.

A deba can work well to fillet and break down fish, or a mioroshi Deba that's a little thinner/lighter/longer for bigger fish. The stiffer knives take getting used to!

What fish are you breaking down?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:07 am 

The one I am using is Heimo Roselli UHC Big Fish filleting knife
It is 215mm on the edge and does have slight flex, not like classic flexible knives, but it's not the only filleting knife Roselli makes, there are more flexible and classic shaped ones. The steel is Roselli's UHC carbon steel 64-66 HRC, similar to wootz in appearance, scandi grind 15^ per side. not sure if filleting knives are hardened the same, but it takes and holds edge like no other !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:30 pm 

If you are really on a budget, get a rapala filet knife from a bait shop, cheap, flexible, and work great.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]