It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:51 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Magical Physics of the Trailing Stroke?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:30 pm 

So, I have noticed that when freehand sharpening, I get huge benefits from the trailing stroke of a blade across the stone. In some cases I will find that by just using backwards trailing strokes (e.g., rather than pushing the blade forward on the stone, I pull it backwards with the edge to the stone) the blade edge become very precise and crisp. I used to finish my sharpening session with a few trailing strokes and so could see the benefit of removing a burr, etc; Now I find that by upping the amount of trailing strokes, the edges are just plain better than by using mostly forward strokes. The question I have, is why? Is there some benefit to the trailing stroke that cannot be achieved as efficiently by the forward stroke? The only thing I can surmise is that the trailing stroke allows the sharpener to hold the angle of the blade to the stone more consistently. It almost feels as if the blade angle “locks in” to the stone and holds its angle as the blade moves in reverse, with less movement in the heal which thus creates a more consistently-held angle. I don’t know if that is truly the reason for the better edges, but would really like to understand better the physics of the trailing stroke. Arcane, yes? But it really does work. Sharpening wizards, what's up here?

Post subject: Re: Magical Physics of the Trailing Stroke?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chester,

I've found the same thing and this is why stropping provides such a big benefit when you finish your knives. Here's my theory. Leading strokes are aggressive and many finer stones tend to be soft. This is a bad combination since I've experienced what I call snow plowing where the edge doesn't gouge the stone so much as it plows into the stone and rolls the edge. When people tell me they get their knives sharp on a 1-3 K stone but then they move to a 5-8K stone and the edge get's duller that is what I usually suspect. If you're dealing with a softer, higher grit stone, using trailing strokes (stropping) should avoid the snow plow effect. At least that's my theory and it works for me.

Can you sharpen using only trailing strokes? Yes you can. However, it will take you a lot longer and I usually see no real benefit on lower grit stones.

A common and effective routine I use is:

500 using both leading and trailing
1K using both leading and trailing.
Deburr (Either with a felt block or using trailing strokes on the 1K)
5K trailing strokes only
Strop with CO Paste on Balsa or leather

I can usually get most knives hair popping sharp with this method and that's good enough for me.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:05 pm 

Good to see that it is not just me that has made this observation (hey, even a blind squirrel ocassionally finds a nut). I have indeed noticed that on occasion I will lose progress when sharpening (e.g., the knife actually gets duller as I sharpen) but when this occurs, it is only after forward strokes. Again, my theory is that the forward motion is doing exactly what you are describing, which is a form of snow plowing into the stone which is trashing the edge. While I guess it is possible that this can also occur on the reverse stroke, it seems so much easier to hold that angle against the stone moving from the front to the back. Also, to the extent that the angle to the stone is changing, the affect on the blade must be much greater while pushing foward than in reverse. Interesting that you too increase your trailing strokes at you move higher in grits. Wish I stumbled on this trick years ago!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:54 am 

Yep, it's easier to not overshoot the edge angle and it keeps the abrasives from being pushed into the converging planes that make up your edge, resulting in deformation.

Sometimes this is desirable, like using coticule stones(with their round-ish Garnet abrasive particles) on straight razors to prevent "over-honing" or creating an edge that is too laser-like and therefore more likely to shave off tiny layers of skin, leading to irritation.

But for kitchen knives, it's a whole new thing. It's why I think the old idea that a kitchen knife needs 2 stones(coarse and fine) is not as good as having a stone and strop(medium grit stone, with a loaded strop).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm 

"A common and effective routine I use is:

5K trailing strokes only

I can usually get most knives hair popping sharp with this method and that's good enough for me."
[/quote]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mark, What is CO paste? Thanks..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Chromium Oxide:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/choxd4oz.html

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:56 pm 

It should also be noted that in traditional Japanese knife sharpening routines, you only put much pressure on edge-leading strokes to deburr.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

hugo wrote:"A common and effective routine I use is:

5K trailing strokes only

I can usually get most knives hair popping sharp with this method and that's good enough for me."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mark, What is CO paste? Thanks..[/quote]

Hi Hugo,

Sorry about that. I use Chromium Oxide paste on a strop (usually balsa).

This is the paste:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/choxd4oz.html

This is the balsa:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bamapa.html

There's a video on the balsa page that Shaun did that will show you the technique for anyone that reads this and doesn't know what stropping is. It's just using edge trailing stroks.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:54 pm 

so i should trail using my 6000grit? i always go leading and trailing through out all the stones. but sometimes i do dig in and try to lap it off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:09 pm 

You can do both, but I think you should finish the time you spend on every stone with exclusively edge-trailing strokes to ensure you are getting the stone's full finish.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next