It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:35 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another gyuto recommendation...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:28 pm 

Lots of support for a 240 - making me think about it a lot harder. I've researched the Goko White #1 240 and that looks to be exceptional. Too bad it's out of stock. And I like the suggestions/comments by estayton & SteveG - a mid 210 and laser 240 seems like a nice combo.

Unfortunately for me (and fortunately for the merchant), I tend to favor "the right tool for the job" which means I usually have several versions/varieties/etc of whatever "tools" that I use. I don't go overboard because I can't afford it but I like a little more than less. Plus when I discover something that I really get into, it becomes a fun hobby type thing. Now I'm just getting in to Japanese knives but it sure looks to be more than just something to cut with for me - I love the craftsmanship that goes into these knives, the decades/centuries of history and tradition behind them, the melding of metal and wood into a thing of beauty.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying that I am tending toward the 210/240 combo. The 210 would be either the Anryu, Yuki or Tanaka Sekiso. I like the idea of the Konosuke 240 Funayuki/Gyuto, but the only one in stock right now is the HH version. Any other suggestions? Or should I just get the 210 now and then wait for the Goko White #1 240 to come in?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:33 pm 

Are you a home or professional cook?

I would almost always go with a 240 first, much more versatile and can get a lot of work done with that extra length and weight. Later if you need to do more detail oriented work you could pick up a 210.

Unlike Steve I'd go for a 240 Workhorse and a 210 laser, I like a smaller thinner blade for my precision work and a bigger heftier knife for just busting through a prep list.

You kind of have to figure it out for yourself. What I can tell you is there isn't a single "bad" knife on the CKTG website. If you stick to the recommended brands you are guaranteed to come out with an awesome product. It's just choosing to cater towards your needs and desires.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Lunatic - I can totally see that in a pro environment where you might need a line knife that light, nimble, and a bit shorter. At home, I guess it depends on how one likes to approach prep, what they prep, where they prep, etc.

Totoro - the Goko White #1 240 is no laser, just FYI. If you search Melampus' posts, he does get into some detail on the Kono Funy/Gyuto profile vs. their regular 240 profile. It was a while ago. In a nutshell, the Funayuki/Gyuto profile is a little flatter in the front half, with a more pointed tip. There's quite a bit less height at the tip, meaning less blade to guide with your off hand - easier to cut yourself, but it gives you more versatility for detail work if you desire those characteristics. It's not for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:25 pm 

I have already voted 240mm, but if you are looking at a combo, you might start with the 240mm since it's further from your comfort zone, then reassess for the next purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:40 pm 

Hmmm? I posted a reply about 10 minutes ago and it hasn't shown up. Lost in cyberspace somewhere I guess. So if another similar reply shows up....

Lunatic & Steve - great points! I'm a home cook for many years. I enjoy the prep and cooking as much as the meal, sometimes more so. While I don't have a huge kitchen & lots of counter space, I'm not cramped and often use a 12"x18" face grain maple cutting board. I am looking to get a 14"x20" end grain cherry board though. Prep is mostly veggies, usually with some chicken or fish.

As for the search, I tend to research quite a bit before a "major" purchase. I learn a lot and it's more satisfying when I use things. Just got to be careful about "analysis paralysis". Now this is my first experience with live feedback and it's way better than I'd imagined. I really appreciate the time and thoughtful comments that everyone puts in to this forum.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm thinking a lot harder about a 240 based on comments. And thanks Steve for the advice about the funayuki/gyuto - I'll look into that. Now to see what is in stock.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:08 pm 

Can't say I have ever heard someone say they wish they would have got a 210 instead of a 240. And I have heard more than few say the opposite, including myself. My wife still gravitates towards a 210, but if I took it out of the drawer and forced her to use the 240, she wouldn't complain. Just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:23 pm 

socalboo wrote:Can't say I have ever heard someone say they wish they would have got a 210 instead of a 240. And I have heard more than few say the opposite, including myself. My wife still gravitates towards a 210, but if I took it out of the drawer and forced her to use the 240, she wouldn't complain. Just my $0.02.

Very good point.

I think it comes down to what you're prep'in like Steve said. Certain tools are better suited to certain tasks.

If you break down a lot of large veg like bell peppers and larger onions a 240 is more suited towards the task.

If you find yourself tackling large amounts of garlic, shallots, green onions etc you might fidn a 210 is more suited towards the task.

Really what I'm saying is you have to buy both to really figure out what works for you, but in general I'd pick up a 240 first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:00 am 

Agreed about the 240, but when it comes to tackling small vegetables like garlic, shallots, green onions, etc - I still find that the Nakiri/Usuba dominates, and by quite a large margin.

I still enjoy watching this old video that demonstrates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFbMpLmCGSo

I tend to think of a 210 Gyuto as being a versatile meat/breakdown knife, or a nimbler large vegetable knife.

As such, each to their own. :)

Last edited by desol on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:03 am 

desol wrote:Agreed about the 240, but when it comes to tackling small vegetables like garlic, shallots, green onions, etc - I still find that the Nakiri/Usuba dominates, and by quite a large margin.

I still enjoy watching this old video that demonstrates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFbMpLmCGSo

I tend to think of a 210 Gyuto as being a versatile meat/breakdown knife, or a nimbler large vegetable knife.

As such, each to their own.

I disagree here, I think this isn't to each his own. Having the tip on a knife makes it much more versatile. You can complete many more tasks with a tip. I use a naikiri for fun and nothing else. It gets the job done and done well, but you can accomplish far more with a gyuto profile.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:05 am 

I guess we'll need to agree to disagree. :)

Page 3 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next