It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another gyuto recommendation...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tim, thanks for the great summary. I hope you get to test out a Yuki 240 some time and see how it compares. Darn it - now I need to look at getting a Tanaka Sekiso ;-).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:33 pm 

Yes Steve you should check out the Tanaka Sekiso. The grind on the blade is so well done. The blade convex starts at the blade edge and tapers gradually to the spine. It has a very slight shoulder as you move up the blade, not as pronounced a transition to a shoulder as on most other blades. In the 210 size my Yuki is a little thinner at the edge compared to the 210 Sekiso and the grind also goes high up on the blade with more of a transition. The Sekiso is also a taller blade which is a plus. With a lot of these great knives the difference are minor, they are both great performers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:17 pm 

Thanks for all of the comments so far. It looks like the Anryu, Yuki and Tanaka Sekiso are favorites in the feedback, not only here but I seem to recall lots of enthusiasm about them in other posts. The other suggestions also look interesting but I think I'll stick with one of knives from my original list, most likely one of the three I just listed above.

So now the question about 210 vs 240. I tend to like a shorter knife for my home cooking. The Kohetsu santoku is great but a little too short sometimes. I have a 10 inch Sabatier carbon knife that I only use occasionally. So a 240 seems like it'd be really close to the Sabatier and a 210 while only 30 longer than the santoku would be closer to that middle ground. At least that's what I'm thinking. I also think that it would be nice to have a 210 and a 240 - but maybe with different qualities rather than same knife in different lengths. Any thoughts on this? Different lengths and different steels for instance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have a few 210mm gyuto's and rarely use them. One has been boxed for a while, the second I haven't rehandled yet and the one that is out hasn't see use in 4 months. I am a home cook and prefer a 240mm by far.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:39 pm 

In general I second the notion of 240s over 210s. Historically I find the 240 a more comfortable length. But I have also done quite a bit of cooking with only a 180 gyuto, and it is possible to adapt.

The only option where I might not suggest a 240 would be the Kajihara, as the 210 is heavier than a lot of wa 240s. But even there I miss the extra 30mm on occasion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 pm 

I reach for the 240 size most of the time. The longer blade is more efficient and versatile. I do use the 210s if I want a more nimble knife. My wife uses the 210s mostly. FYI the 210 Yuki runs a little longer @ 218mm,than other makers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tough call on the 210/240 issue. The Kohetsu is longer than many Santoku's. As Bikeman said, my Yuki is also about 218mm, so a little oversized. Personally, I think this might be enough of a jump. A straight 210mm - might be too similar in size to the Kohetsu. I'd probably look at a 240 in the Sekiso. I don't know if Mark has any over sized Anyru's around, or if they even run long at all.

Another option as you stated is to try a 210 and get a 240 later. I know some 240's like the Kono HD and HH series run shorter - around 230 or so. They're a nice intermediate size, but they're lasers and you aren't really looking at those.

It really depends on your cutting board(s) size and the workspace you utilize. 240's will normally have longer flat areas in the back part of the blade and will also allow rocking w/shorter up/down motions because of the length.

That being said, if you have a 10" Sabatier which you can pull out when needed, then a 210 might make sense.

Clear as mud, right? ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:32 pm 

I vote 240mm. 210mm makes more sense in a small kitchen/prep area. And some people feel more comfortable/confident with a 210mm. My instinct is, if you are considering a 240mm, get a 240mm. Since you are considering the additional length, it seems unlikely you would be intimidated by it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:16 pm 

SteveG wrote:Another option as you stated is to try a 210 and get a 240 later. I know some 240's like the Kono HD and HH series run shorter - around 230 or so. They're a nice intermediate size, but they're lasers and you aren't really looking at those.

I was thinking of this as a possibility as well: consider getting a laser 210 and workhorse 240, or a laser 240 and workhorse 210 (one at a time of course). One combo that had come to mind was a medium-weight workhorse like the Anryu in 210, with a Konosuke or similar 240 (it is even longer but the Moritaka KS you mention looks like it would be thin enough to fit the bill, though I haven't held one). I found I was easily able to adapt to the longer length because thin Japanese blades are so light, even at that size.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

EStaton - that's about what I have in my drawer right now. A Yuki 210 for a middle weight blade and a Kono HD 240 Funy/Gyuto that's a light laser. I did just get one of the Goko W#1 240's. I haven't tried it out yet. I also keep a Victorinox 10" and Henckels 8" chef around for bigger/tougher tasks, but I don't need them very often.

I think a workhorse 210 and laser 240 makes more sense. Laser 210's can be so, so light and sometimes undersized and short at the heel. The Kono 240's in W#2, HD, or HH in either Gyuto or Funayuki/Gyuto flavors are all awesome!

Page 2 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next