It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 10 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Goko Hammered Damascus 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:54 am 

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gohada24gy.html
weight: 5oz
blade length: 247mm
total length: 382mm
spine thickness at base: 1.58mm
blade height: 50.94mm

Aesthetics : This knife is a looker for sure, rustic looks that ties in very well with the wa handle. For those of you who don't know the first order that Mark received were seconds and not deemed showcase worthy. Basically they have horizontal scratches on them. This adds to the rustic nature of the blade. Damascus finish is vivid and beautiful as always, the hammered finish is practical and rustic.

Steel: With 19C27 Steel at a HRC of 60 this blade is not only stainless but takes a nice edge and can hold it for a nice amount of time.

Feel: I believe this is a very important part of a knife, if it feels like crap no matter how good of a performer it is you just won't care to use it. This is not that case with this knife, it feels extremely nimble and lightweight. Excellent control and steering with a variety of ingredients, even hard items such as butternut squash and sweet potatoes. No fatigue with this knife at all, further testing with this on saturday (prep shift). The OOTB edge was very polished but not as toothy as I would like it to be, I haven't gotten the chance to sharpen this knife yet but being 19C27 it should sharpen up very well. With a magnolia wood handle and buffalo horn ferrule it feels much more elite than standard Ho wood, but with the same grip and traction Ho wood provides.

Grind: About as non-stick as I've seen, nothing sticks to this knife, not potatoes (even when the blade is covered in starchy juice), not squash, carrots fly off. No wedging, thin behind the edge allows it to drop through anything and the hammered finish pushes any food off.

For $100 this blows any other knife I've used out of the water. The feel is what makes this knife, it's a joy to use and wield on a daily basis. I rush home just to cook an elaborate dinner so I can use this knife.

I'll be updating this thread after a line and prep shift this weekend, that should give a conclusive review of the blade.

Post subject: Re: Goko Hammered Damascus 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:39 am 

Update. After going through a lot of prep I found what this knife likes and what it would avoid if it had a choice. It loves anything with a lot of water in it, so all your soft veggies like peppers, celery, onions, potatoes. But it doesn't really love going through carrots and squah, it can and does it very well, but I found my naikiri with more weight handled it far better. Now that's no real surprise as Carrots are usually the hardest thing a knife will go through on a regular basis.

This knife loves to slice through meat, cutting skirt steak was like butter. Even meats like pot roast which are very soft, slices through cleanly and with one pull. Love it.

I found that after 3-4 hours of work it needed to be honed, I'm assuming this is due to it being so thin behind the edge that it rolls over easier. 5-6 Passes on the hone and she was working smooth as can be.

Overall for the $100 I paid, it's worth it in my opinion. Not sure how it competes in the $200 price bracket, but i'm sure it's a top dog.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:11 pm 

With the shiny damascus version I have (same specs, just different finish) I can concur with the harder veggies observation. The blade is just so light that even though it will cut carrots very easily you do have to use some downward pressure to do so to compensate for the lack of weight. I don't use it professionally so as a home cook it causes no fatigue issues at all for me, but a professional cook might like a little heavier knife that will do more work for them especially for long hours of prep and cutting. That is just my thought on it and I could be totally wrong. lol

As far as honing, again I am a home cook so mine has not needed honing yet. I'm very sure that a professional atmosphere is MUCH harder on an edge than my meager usage. lol I'm not sure if it needing to be honed is a result of the edge rolling given the hardness of the steel or if it is because there is so little metal in contact with the board the very edge wears ever so slightly. I have seen elsewhere that this steel in particular seems to love a micro-bevel and Suisin puts one on their knives with this steel because of that. If the Goko isn't using a micro-bevel, you might try just a few swipes at a higher angle on your stones after sharpening and see if that helps it hold an edge longer. Given how thin the edge is it shouldn't hurt the cutting performance and should make touch-ups between sharpenings easier. Keep in mind that I haven't done this (I rarely if ever use micro-bevels) and I haven't felt the need to as a home cook, but as a professional cook it might help you get through a whole day without honing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:21 pm 

I agree with putting a micro bevel on this knife. I did so to mine right away, as I was not supper happy with the OOTB edge. It now preforms great. The edge still doesn't last as long as my AS knife but, it does hone back to shape rather quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:23 am 

5 passes on each side of a hone and the edge is back to shaving sharpness. It's just with long periods of chopping and rocking it will roll over slightly. Gotta caress it back into alignment.

Today I tackled some different challenges, 2 whole cases of button and cremini mushrooms. I can see with a knife this large it's not a struggle, but it's a lot to throw around for tiny mushrooms. So in that case a petty would be a better option.

I've found with carrots it doesn't like to chop, but push cutting is fine. It's actually very nice for detail work such as a fine Julienned carrot sticks.

This knife, she flies through cucumbers, they tend to fly off due to the grind and go everywhere, just says more about how non-stick this knife is.

What else can I say... Oh, the spine isn't rounded off that much, after several hours you start to feel it which might persuade me to round it off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:48 am 

I can't wait for these to come back in stock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:33 pm 

That is one beautiful knife.

Any idea if/when they'll be back in stock? 270mm is what I'd really like.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:21 pm 

Dakki wrote:That is one beautiful knife.

Any idea if/when they'll be back in stock? 270mm is what I'd really like.

Believe they were a "one and done" however I know the regular Damascus (not hammered) will be back in stock sometime in the near future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:06 am 

They're back in stock and Mark has held the 99 price.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 pm 

mine JUST came in the mail! super light and thin but not chincy feeling light. I go to work in 30 mins and cant wait to try it out. this is my first Japanese knife.
I cant see any bevel on the knife but it feels sharp. ill most a further review later tonight or tomorrow. taking my shapton pro 5000 to work with me.

Page 1 of 10 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next