It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gyuto Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:18 am 

I think If you are into the r2 maybe a look at the shiro kamo 240 (out of stock right now) would probably fit the bill. Handmade, great steal, really interesting finish on the blade, wa handle. Only thing that might be a bit unusual is the lack of belly, its not all flat but definatly not what you would have been used to in the rental knives.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:40 am 
Forum Moderator

The Ginga, Yusuke and Kono HD/HH/White #2 series are all in the laser class of knife, as are the Goko Damascus, Kikuichi TKC, Kikuichi Swedish Damascus, etc. Lasers are thinner/lighter and many prefer them for most cutting tasks since there is little cutting resistance normally. Lasers are more often than not more "machine made" rather than hand made and are more polished. A slightly thicker/heavier knife is known as a WorkHorse and has more convexing to the sides of the knife, which helps push the food away from the blade, but may lead to cracking thru harder/taller foods, like thick carrots, hard squash, etc depending on the grind and how much it is pushing the food away. Workhorses will often have a little more friction in the cut because of this where the laser will tend to slip through foods easier and with less effort. Workhorses are often more rustic looking and more hand made and the grind is very important in a workhorse!! Too steep of a grind and it can wedge horribly in food. I look for a nice, slow convex grind going pretty well up the blade, not just stopping 1/3 the way up. Workhorses are generally stiffer and lasers are generally more flexible. I have a Tanaka Sekiso, which is borderline between the laser and workhorse category and performs wonderfully, same with the Hammered Anryu and Goko that I have gotten to play with.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:51 pm 

Thanks for the information Taz! That helps explain things a bit.

So what kind of differences are there between a Takeda Classic, a Gesshin Ginga, or a Kochi? How different are they and which one would you guys choose if given the option?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

GLITCH <> The Ginja is a monosteel laser available in different steels, the Kochi is a heftier carbon core blade clad in either stainless or reactive steels, the Takeda is a quasi-laser iron-clad carbon core knife.

If given the option, I would opt for the Katsushige Anryu<--link. It's classic yet refined, hefty yet nimble, gorgeous yet unpretentious; it is one of my favorite lines on the site. This knife is a middle-weight that has some heft of which in concert with an impeccable grind intensifies its cutting power allowing it to fall through food effortlessly. It is nothing like the anemic Ginga, and beefier than the Takeda. It is a fun knife to use. Along with that benefit, it [weight] can cause fatigue if you're machine gunning it for extended periods of time, but in a residential environment this trait is moot. When you have this knife in hand, it feels like you have A KNIFE in hand.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:38 pm 

Thanks for the recommendation Melampus! I like the sound of a knife in which I can feel the weight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:42 am 

I purchased the Anryu on Mel's recommendation and I second his description. It is my favorite knife right now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:47 am 
Forum Moderator

I had the chance to play with the Anryu for a while and it's a great knife!

Yup, the Ginga is a laser (very close to Konosuke and Yasuke in terms of looks, style, thinness, etc). The Kochi is a bit beefier, has decent grinds, but the Blue #2 version I got to play with when I rehandled it didn't have the greatest edge retention; the edge was a bit crumbly and the edge didn't last as long as my Tanaka's and other Blue steel blades. Takeda's are hand forged and tend to be very tall, fairly thin and flexy. Some of the grinds are lower than they used to be in the past, which can lead to the knife wedging in food and not cutting as well as it can. The profile is a bit different, too, like a very long and tall santoku, so if you want a pointy knife, Takeda's aren't for you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:46 am 

Thanks for all of the help everyone! I've narrowed it down to the Ginga or Kochi. I'll update you guys when I decide and get it in. You have all been incredibly helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:55 pm 

I ended up ordering the Ginga in 270. It should come in today, but I'm very nervous and wonder if I should have gotten the Anryu, like you mentioned Melampus, or the Kochi. I might have to reconsider if the Ginga feels too light in my hand. *Fingers very crossed*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:24 pm 

GlitchKing wrote:I ended up ordering the Ginga in 270. It should come in today, but I'm very nervous and wonder if I should have gotten the Anryu, like you mentioned Melampus, or the Kochi. I might have to reconsider if the Ginga feels too light in my hand. *Fingers very crossed*

At the end of the day, it's gonna cut well and be an awesome addition to any collection.

Page 3 of 6 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next