It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Edge Pro -- Do good freehanderes need one?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:26 am 

I'll offer a counterpoint here. Assuming you don't need help holding a knife steady(I.E. no arthritis, tremors, etc) the ability that a jig offers over freehanding is a dead-flat bevel, and consistent angle holding to not mess up an edge whilst going through the steps to get an extreme polish on a knife.

Thing is, I have never wanted either of those thing. I don't care if the last 1mm of my knife is mechanically flat or somewhat convex. I've used both--neither feels different. And I don't like using knives for anything that are polished to an extreme.

I don't use a jig, no matter how much sharpening there is to do. I don't like fussing with the equipment--stones and hands are a faster process.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Hi Mucho Bocho:

The angle arm mod is just awesome - still has zero tolerance - no noticeable wear on the arm either as I use a good teflon base lube on the stone arm.

I do a single bevel as per normal on the angled side with the EP, then switch to the Spyderco Sharpmaker to "deburr" the flat side on the ultra fine ceramic stone - works well.

You can also "debur" the flat side on a normal bench stone or any similar flat fine abrasive surface.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:42 pm 

Bill, I'm honored that you've responded to my post. You're one of my knife Hero's. My biggest grip about the EP is that you can't create convex bevels. Sure you can create multiple angled bevels on a knife but its not the same thing as having a nice appleseed convex edge. Thats why I try to keep bevels as small as possible.

Mad, Good to know that you've had success getting a Yani to sing on the EP. I'm going to give it a go next time too. Think I'll just get a super-high bench stone to flatten the back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:45 pm 

Weighing back in.... So, the EP Pro came and I have to say, it is an awsome unit. At the very least, I must tip my hat to the inventor and it does seem to really hold a consistent edge across the entire knife surface. That said, here are a few initial comments. First, what I really like is the fact that the part of the knife where I always have the most trouble, which is the curve towards the tip, gets really nicely sharpened by the EP. Having worked stones for years, I still struggle with this part of the blade. Second, I can put a nice edge on almost any knife quickly and consistently. For me at least, there really has been minimal learning curve and I am getting good results with just the two stones that came with the unit (Mark, the nicer stones you are sending should be on my doorstop tonight). I also like the fact that some knives that I have struggled with due to their shape or steel have been relatively easy to sharpen. It's almost like there is a decoder ring that comes with the thing to helps you bring some problem blades back to life.

Now, having said all that, I still find that I am reaching for the stones. So far, the EP has given me good edges, but so too did my freehanding. Going from a beautiful green brick of joy, slathered with water and swarf--and the black shavings on my finger tips--to, well, a somewhat sterile feeling of the EP has made be ponder... Now, I am not trying to be at all philosophical here, but there is some zen with working a blade with just you, the water and that big stone that I must tip my hat to. Also, I am starting to get the fact that there really is something to the convectness of the blades based on some accidental angle error I have introduced to the blade. I do find that making trailing strokes on a stone towards the end of sharpening by freehand, really has given me some great edges, and I am partly attributing that to the ability to add a bit of convectness to the blade by freehand.

Bottom line: I can see room for both. I really like the precision of the EP and the ability to get me a great basic edge at a perfect angle. I also like the idea of being able to almost set my own "consistent factory edge" from which to later deviate with freehand sharpening. That said, I won't be tossing my freehand stones in deep storage any time soon. I really enjoy the feel of the big bricks and the edges I am getting from freehanding a bit more than what I am getting from the EP. Now, once the finer stones arrive, I will chime in with my results which will be a fairer comparison.

My two cents....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:54 am 

Mucho Bocho, I feel obligated to tell you, despite that I have little more to add to this thread, that I am not BILL Burke. I love Bill, he's a great dude, and I like him as a person and a knifemaker. But I'm just another dude with an Irish name.

And you can make a convex edge with an edge pro, if you just used abrasives that have soft backing, like sandpaper on a cushion. Think of it like the "mousepad technique". You'd have to make them though. Again, futzing around with the EP.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

I'm thinking about offering a convex strop for the Edge Pro. I had a customer from the EU test a bunch of materials and make some recommendations on the best ones to use.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 am 
Forum Moderator

Mark, I already have convex EP strops ready to go for the EP. I'll bring it up on our next chat. You can definitely do both a series of bevels to shape a convex like edge OR just make a convex bevel with a medium with 'give and controlling the radii of curvature or degree of convexity by adjusting pressure. Had these for a couple of years :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:33 am 
Forum Moderator

Chester, it sounds like using the EP is giving you a good reference for precision - and not taking you away from freehanding, but enhancing your freehand. Glad to see you having made the plunge. Forgot if I mentioned it, but the 'green brick' is available for the EP too.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:53 pm 

Ken, Curious. I don't understand what it is your talking about? Convex EP strop? Like to see a pic os such a thing?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Not being able to sharpen single bevels with an EP is a myth. You simply set the angle to match the front bevel and for the back bevel just debur by using the next finest stone and laying the knife down flat on it and strop. Then put the stone in the EP and refine the edge further. Easy. There really is no 'law' that says you need to use your EP stones in the EP for both sides.

---
Ken

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next