It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tetsuhiro White #1 Nakiri
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:09 pm 

I purchased this Nakiri in early October and have been very impressed with it's performance and overall fit and finish - which is excellent. Knife reviews are much more useful/relevant after they've been put through their paces than just out of the box with little or no use.

The hammered finish is much more striking in person than the pic indicates and touches up very easily on a high grit stone, usually with just a few passes. OOTB edge was very good but far from it's true potential. The spine is nicely rounded as is the choil and feels quite substantial in hand. OOTB weight is 180 grams (6 3/8 oz.) 171 mm on the cutting edge and 51 mm at the heel. The distal taper is pronounced with most of it's weight concentrated over the heel. Combined with a very even grind and being EXTREMELY thin behind the edge, this knife falls through food. It definitely has a blade heavy feel which I really like. The handle is comfortable with a buffalo horn ferrule and it's length is appropriate for the blade, but the magnolia wood is porous and has picked up anything it touches especially bits of CrO or CBN as they flake and now looks dirty. Would much prefer a non porous wood handle.

Edge retention is decent - not that great but that's typical for this type of carbon steel, and touchups are so quick and easy on a strop or two that I've given it only one major sharpening. After experimenting with different strops and compounds it seems especially responsive to CrO on bovine followed by horse butt. This thing gets crazy sharp so easily that makes edge loss forgivable. Would love to see this knife at a higher HRC and taller like the Masakage nakiris. The decision was between the Shimo and Tetsuhiro, Mark said get the Tetsuhiro and now know I picked the right one.

Overall I am impressed with this blade, probably a best buy for White #1 at this price point from a clearly talented blacksmith.

Post subject: Re: Tetsuhiro White #1 Nakiri
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

DR. <> The porosity of the Wa can be mitigated by filling said pores. I mineral oil my handles regularly; others use Tung Oil or Tru-Oil. I have also used a concoction of beeswax:oil @20:80, as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:21 pm 

Good review Dr. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:25 pm 

Nice review. The hammered texture on those knives looks fantastic in pictures, and I'm sure it is only better in person. Sounds like a great cutter as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:25 am 

Thanks for the review, I am considering picking up a nakiri so it was nice to read your impressions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:13 pm 

Thank you for the helpful review. Is the cladding stainless or reactive?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Stainless cladding. The good doctor's review accurately describes the Tetsuhiro characteristics. He's right on the money. They are very nice knives which seem to be overlooked by many. They're not inexpensive, but IMO the craftsmanship is worth the $$$.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]