It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tojiro DP 155mm Deba with Water Camo handle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well I finally got to use the Water Camo block I made!!! One of the things that got me started in making my own handle material was that I love blue handles and offshore fishing and I wanted to make a handle that combined the 2! First attempts were mono tone and the colors didn't pop. I got the green/brown camo to work nice, but the blue camo was driving me nuts. I saw some of Butch Harner's MyCarta and saw he would often add white to put in some contrast.

This block has medium blue fabric, zebra print cotton fabric, white denim, sky blue fabric and some light teal yarn. Ferrule is black Linen Micarta (factory stuff). I put the handle on a Tojiro DP 155mm Deba I picked up to try on inshore species like Fluke and Blackfish and Stripers. The blade is stainless and the handle is synthetic, so it should be just fine for the salt water fishing!

I finished the handle up to 320 grit by hand and then rubbed in 2 layers of Tru Oil. I got some pics with the fresh Tru Oil on it (shiny) and then after I installed the handle onto the Deba, I wiped the handle down with DNA to mute the gloss a tad.

Pics in the sun with the Tru Oil still on it fully. Nice and glossy, love the contrast between the colors!

Post subject: Re: Tojiro DP 155mm Deba with Water Camo handle
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:35 pm 

Very nice!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

That's really cool looking. What a huge upgrade over the stock handle on that knife.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yup! I did the handle as an oval with a flatter part on the top and bottom of the handle kinda like a Western style handle. Feels really nice in the hand, now I gotta go fishing again so I can use it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:38 pm 

Hi, I'm new to the board and also an avid offshore and inshore fisherman. I just purchased my 1st Deba from Mark and received it this week, but have yet to break it in.......fingers crossed for tomorrow and breaking it in on a Bluefin.

Anyway, that handle is very cool, I love the color. Do you or anybody else, including Mark, make custom handles for sale?

Thanks in advance and nice work!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:15 am 
Forum Moderator

I do rehandles through Mark at CKTG or you can shoot me a PM since you already have the knife.

Good luck on the BFT!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:59 pm 

That would be great......I will send you a PM.

I absolutely LOVE using a Deba for cutting up fish! This past Friday we managed to catch a Bluefin and a few small Mahi and I used my new Tojiro Shirogami Deba 180mm on them. I had been using thin western style filet knives all these years and using the Deba was a revelation. Here is a pic:

Attachments:
Bluefin loin.jpg [5.72 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Deba's are pretty cool for breaking down Tuna!!! Congrats on the BFT!! Where are you located??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:10 pm 

Thanks! I live in Montclair, NJ, but my father lives in Seaside Park, NJ and we fish outta Barnegat Inlet. The bluefin season has been hot for at least a month now, but with few fish over 50 lbs. Hopefully as the season goes we will get some fish over the 100 lb mark.

Btw, I got your PM and will respond a bit later. I appreciate the detailed explanation and pics!

~DM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ah, ok! The NJ BFT crew! those are Baby BFT! :) I've been up to Cape Cod a couple times looking for BFT, some of my friends have landed 73+ " BFT on the rods I built them over the past few years. If I go Offshore, it's usually to the Canyons; Atlantis, Fish Tails, Block Canyon, etc. Only got out once so far this year, hopefully there will be a nice eddy soon to bring some fish in!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next