It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: New to the forum and EP!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:04 pm 

I was lucky to find CKTG a few (?) years ago when I was searching for sharpening options...our good host hooked my up w/ a set of Shaptons and it was off to climb the learning curve. I was desperate to get our Henckels back into shape...I also was curious about carbon steel and wanted a knife to play with. Mark was kind enough to recommend one (don't recall the particulars). I was able to get decent edges...but I was looking to improve my results. I figured I'd try to take some of the variability out of hand sharpening by investing in the EP Shapton kit and it arrived just last week.

Kinda long-winded way of introduction and lead-up to my question, but here goes...I never really feel a good burr on the Henckles (forged), even on the 320...I've got a microscope that I use to check out progress (higher mag than the loop).... I can really get a good burr on the carbon steel Japanese blade...which makes me confident I've got 17 degrees on the edge.

Is there a "primer" (ie written-out description) on the different steels used in commercial knives (is it the relative harnesses I'm experiencing)? I've looked, but I must admit my 50 year-old self has weak Google-fu. ;)

Fascinating, but a bit overwhelming with the number of manufacturers available

Post subject: Re: New to the forum and EP!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Welcome Ricky! You should definitely be able to get a burr that you can feel on the Henckels w/the EP. What kit did you get? One w/the Shapton Glass stones or the stock EP stones?

I assume your Henckels are in decent shape from the free hand sharpening you've done thus far. You might need a bit more work on the stones for the stainless steel versus the super easy sharpening carbon steel. I like to work a bit on each side of the blade towards getting a burr, rather than just sharpening a lot on one side until burr formation. You are putting a controlled angle edge on w/the EP versus a free hand edge that might be at different angles on each side and not perfectly formed, just from the variations in free hand sharpening (by anyone, not just you).

Use Sharpie on the edge and make sure you're cutting an even bevel along the entire blade on both sides. That 320 (if it's a Shapton GS) should cut pretty quick and give you a burr no problem. You don't need a big burr, just something you can feel or use paper towels or a micro fiber cloth to verify burr formation. Actually, the smaller the burr you create, the better.

Keep at it. The EP does have a learning curve - it takes some skill and consistency to get great results. Also remember, light pressure - let the stones do the work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:01 pm 

Thanks for the feedback Steve (and the kind welcome :!: )...yep it's the Shapton Glass set. I've been using the Sharpie and the bevel looks good; it's just that I was worried that I wasn't getting all the way to the edge since I couldn't feel the burr...especially since it was so pronounced on the carbon blade. I like the idea of a paper towel/micro fiber...off to play some more!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:44 pm 

Ricky,

When you free handed you naturally introduced a small convex and hit the edge. You might not be doing that now with the stricter angle of the EP.

Also, stainless such as in the German knives can be seriously abrasion resistant. Shaptons should get there, but it takes time.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:19 pm 

Ricky,
Hi there, you've made a good decision to stop in and say hi on your sharpening journey. Steve and Rick have given great advice as usual. I've been where you are, often challenged by similar steel. It still bewilders me that harder carbon knives are so much easier to sharpen.
I do what Steve does and that is not to linger on one side of the knife until a burr is detectable. Don't hesitate to flip the blade and continue the process until you can feel it. I've learned to be patient with these knives and it pays off. As long as you are hitting the edge of the edge that excellent 320 stone will perform it's magic. Once it has, things go quite quickly after that, it gets sharp fast and your patience will be rewarded.

Enjoy it, once you have overcome the challenge there is a huge sense of satisfaction and one heck of a sharp knife.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:38 pm 

Thanks folks for the piece of mind that I'm not doing something wrong, I just need to keep going :)

Is it just me that I can kill a couple of hours "shucking and swooshing" (that what it sounds like to me) and think only 15 mins have passed? :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Time flies when you're having fun :-).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:44 pm 

Is there a "primer" (ie written-out description) on the different steels used in commercial knives (is it the relative harnesses I'm experiencing)

Hey all...answered my own question :)

http://www.midwayusa.com/technicalnotes ... _chart.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:53 pm 

rickysa wrote:... I was worried that I wasn't getting all the way to the edge since I couldn't feel the burr...

Use your scope to check that the scratches go all the way to the edge.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:20 pm 

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/index.shtml

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]