It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Goko White #1 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:13 am 

Something else I think a lot of people might have missed (and something I just thought about) when watching the Goko vids before buying them is that Shaun (MrKnifeFanatic on YouTube and Knife Fanatic here) mentioned that he didn't sharpen it but it was sharpened before he got it. That means he wasn't using the factory edge. I'm not disappointed in the knife at all (heck, I've been waiting so long for it I can't help but love it! lol), but I also wasn't expecting it to perform just like the one he used either.

Just something to keep in mind when watching the vids and to remind potential buyers to listen for the cues. Unless they specifically say it is a factory edge, chances are it has already been sharpened beyond what the manufacturer's edge was OOTB. Another example is Aaron's review of the Artifex sujihiki. He mentions taking the edge to 10 degrees (if I remember right) and the results he got (poor onion and celery never stood a chance, lol) were because of that and the AEB-L steel being able to take such a steep angle. The reviews on the Japanese knives are more about the grind, the steel, and performance of the blade as a whole, not really about the factory edge.

All that being said, the Goko white #1 is still pretty freaking sharp out of the box. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Most Japanese knives are not fully sharpened OOTB. This is the norm; they are left in a 800-1000 grit edge very often and will sometimes still have burrs/wire edge present. The Japanese Knife Makers know that each person has a particular edge they like/prefer based on multiple factors and they let the final consumer put their own edge on it. The bevels are there, but not refined much. The single bevel stuff this is especially important to realize. Single bevel sharpening generally involves sharpening the whole blade road from Shinogi line to the very edge; some do not have a distinct edge bevel and others have a small bevel/microbevel. Most single bevel Japanese knives need to have the final edge/microbevel done before they really show what they can do. Most non Japanese consumers do not realize this and are often underwhelmed by the OOTB edge on many Japanese knives and don't realize that the Japanese generally do not fully sharpen the knife prior to shipping/selling unless the customer specifically asks for it, which will usually increase the price and will make the item non returnable (more often applies to the single bevel since the whole blade road will be sharpened and will show that wear).

Touch up and polish that edge up a bit more and you will probably see better cutting performance out of it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:06 am 

Shaun was very good about letting you know if he was using the OOTB edge or if it had been sharpened when he did his videos.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:27 am 

Jeff B wrote:Shaun was very good about letting you know if he was using the OOTB edge or if it had been sharpened when he did his videos.

Agreed. I just thought it was worth pointing out as it seems there might be some disappointment with the OOTB performance. Not that anyone was actually disappointed with the knife as so far the people here that bought one seem to like it, just that it didn't perform as well as it did for Shaun.

It might help to think of his vids as what a knife CAN be. lol ;)

I'm actually quite pleased with the OOTB performance. I knew it wasn't going to be the same as the one Shaun used, but it did a LOT better than I actually thought it would given the thickness of the blade. The weight is a nice switch from the Goko damascus though. This one does seem to do a little more work for you. I still love the thin blade of the damascus though. They make a nice, balanced pair. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:40 am 

Yes, I guess I was surprised largely because of how refined and sharp the edge seemed to be based on touching it, cutting paper, etc. It felt, OOTB, like just about the sharpest edge I've ever touched. So while I've certainly recieved knives with edges that clearly needed work, this was not so clear. Hence my later confusion. But I didn't check for a wire-edge, so it is quite possible that the factory edge is not as good for actual cutting as it appeared to be from other measures, and that a sharpening is really all it needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:53 am 

LOL!

Yeah... it definitely seems to be the best paper cutter in the house. I had a pile of confetti on my desk and floor to clean up when I first got it... I know paper can wear on a knife's edge, but sometimes I can't help myself with a nice, sharp knife. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:44 am 

Mine was very sharp ootb also, did some mirepoix and potatoes,asparagus and lots of mushrooms. I like it a lot, getting used to the somewhat heavier blade than my other knives. I have not sharpened it up yet but will soon up to 8k on my Apex Edge Pro with Shapton GS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:27 pm 

Great Review,
I bought one too on special and I resonate with many of the points made. I found that what my example had the most trouble with was celery for some reason, it just got stuck in it, haha. This knife is shaving sharp, but it somehow doesn't always feel that way in use, which could be a dangerously deceptive thing for errant co-workers. As to be expected, the knife is blade heavy with the balance point just ahead of a pinch grip.

I didn't have any issue with ingredient stick and I used this knife exclusively to break down and julienne #5 of red peppers. The knife mowed them down like nothing. The knife treated onions the same way, though not as good as my TKC. I would say because the knife is far thicker than the TKC. My TKC is also sharper, but they don't compete for sharpness against each other, both are more than sharp enough. The exposed White #1 did turn a yellowish color after shallots. The steel is fairly intolerant of remaining wet. Just a few short minutes were enough to leave orange spots, though they were not trouble to remove - be advised.

The handle and ferrule issue is present on my example also, but you don't notice it after a while, and it doesn't hinder the performance of the knife. The handle is longer and wider than any other Japanese style handle I have, well, handled...... Personally, I prefer it. The chestnut wood is grippy and the ferrule, while plastic, isn't necessarily detracting from the knife's rustic aesthetic. The F+F on the handle install aside from the ferrule discrepancy is better than average in my example.

All and all, for the forum special price, or full price, this knife is so far; and expected to remain, a great addition to the kit.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2