It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bought some Handle Material
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:17 am 

So I finally decided to pull the trigger on some blanks to make some handles out of. I figure the investment wasn't that much (40 bucks) and would be something for me to do when I'm not working.

I got me some:

Ancient 3400 year old bog oak

Olivewood from Bethlehem

Box elder burl

Babinga wood

Apple wood

A blank from offcuts used to repair the Bluenose II which is a Canadian trademark

Hope to throw together some nice looking handles. I bought lots of cheap apple wood to practice on.

Any tips?

Post subject: Re: Bought some Handle Material
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:33 am 
Forum Moderator

Olivewood can move and crack/check for a while, so make sure it's fully dry!! I had some handles open up cracks in them a little while after the customer got them, others cracked a little when I was shaping them. Bog oak is pretty stable and good to work with. Box elder Burl (or almost any burl) should be stabilized so it is harder and won't move on ya, love the stabilized burls!! Bubinga can be used natural or stabilized, neat looking grain in it. Haven't used apple wood yet, just make sure it's fully dry or the wood can move, warp, curl, crack/check on ya!

Are you looking to do Wa or Western style handles? What tools/machinery do you have/plan to acquire/have access to? I can walk you through rehandling, but I need to know the above info!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:38 pm 

I'm going to start with Wa handles. All woods are fully dried as they are pen blanks ready to turn.

I have a drill press, belt sanders, lathe, orbital sanders, CNC, scroll saw, band saw, I can use any tool/machine in my schools woodshop if needed.

I was thinking to just glue some pieces together cut out a shape on the scroll or band saw and then sand it down to 180 grit.

I'm going to be doing a three piece design where it has two scales and a spine, along with a furrel.

In your opinion Taz what's the easiest way to do it? I bought the apple wood to practice on and experiment. I'm going to make a couple apple wood handles before I attempt to tackle the more expensive Bog oak and Bluenose.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ok, turning blanks are usually fairly dry, but not always as dry as knifemakers want them! I get wood from WoodCraft (spindle turning size) and it can still be pretty wet inside!

Ok, cut out a 1.25" long for the ferrule, 4.5" long for the rear handle, square up the front and rear of both pieces so they mate well. I try to get materials in 1.25" square size so I have room, 5/8"-3/4" wide by 7/8"-1" tall is the size of most finished wa handles, so keep that in mind!. I drill a hole 1/2" diameter at least 3-4" into the rear handle piece in the center. Drill a 3/16" hole clean thru the ferrule and then drill a 1/2" hole 3/4 of the way through the ferrule. Use a slightly undersize 1/2" wood dowel to connect the pieces; I try to leave the dowel short of the hole depth by 1/2" or so. I used water proof 2 part epoxy and glue the ferrule, dowel and handle together, clamp and let cure. Once it's glued, use a long 3/16" drill bit and drill at least 4" or farther into the handle to start the tang slot. Square up the handle (disc sander works best) and using the drilled 3/16" hole as your center, bring the block down to around 3/4"wide by 1"+ tall. I use a 40-43 degree bevel to cut the bottom and top angles for the wa handles and do a slight (1/16"-1/8" total taper on the top/bottom and sides of the handle) taper to the whole handle. Once you have the bevels roughed in, I usually use a granite plate to sand the handle up to 400-600 grit for a non stabilized wood handle and then use a slack area on a belt sander to put a small radius on the front and back of the handle and then polish the front and back and radius with sandpaper. Then I start filing the tang slot using the Woodcraft Needle Rasps 1/8" square. I get a few of them and grind opposite sides to remove the teeth on some to cut a narrower slot for thinner knives and use the un modified files for thicker tang slots. The Needle Rasps work pretty quickly in woods!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

For a laminated wa, I would start with 5.5" scales and a spacer piece the same length. The spacer should be as thick or thicker than the fattest part of the tang. Trace around the tang on the spacer and cut out the area needed for the tag to slip in. I usually leave it oversized a little in width and length. and then glue the 3 pieces together. Watch your glue and clean it out of the cavity while it's still liquidy. Then square up and shape like above. You can also glue up a ferrule/handle block w/o the 1/2" hole or dowel, cut in half the long way and proceed as above for the laminated wa.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:34 pm 

Taz,

Great info, I am thinking about playing with this same project and the info is very helpful.

This may be a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the ferrule? Can you do a single piece of wood for the entire wa-handle?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you want, you can use 1 piece of wood. It's more attractive to break up the color. I've done single piece handles as slabs before, using an Ivory Micarta spacer and doing a laminate handle. I've also taken 1 piece, cut it into the ferrule/handle portions and used a thin material as a spacer to break it up visually. Or a thin cap on each end of a different material and the main handle material in the middle, etc. Lots of possibilities! Originally, the Japanese used a tenon handle design; the Buffalo Horn was drilled out to fit tightly over the tenon from the rear handle portion and when the knife was heated up and tapped into the handle, the Buffalo Horn was more resistant to splitting than the wood was and helped hold the tenon together while the tang burned it's way into the handle.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:13 pm 

Really informative. You know, this is why I love this site and this forum. Everyone gives so freely of their knowledge. There doesn't seem to be the snarkyness you find on some other blade forums. And of course, Mark, Sue and staff are a national treasure. I love you guys (not that there's anything wrong with that :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:45 pm 

Really informative. You know, this is why I love this site and this forum. Everyone gives so freely of their knowledge. There doesn't seem to be the snarkyness you find on some other blade forums. And of course, Mark, Sue and staff are a national treasure. I love you guys (not that there's anything wrong with that

+1 ;) my wife calls this place my internet family :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:25 pm 

We are more of a community than other sites I find. However the only thing I dislike is how we like just about every product on CKTG. You can't pick good from bad only good from great

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next