It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 54 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: Takayuki Hammered Santoku
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:02 pm 

My favorite meal was something my parents called "roast." It was a huge chunk of meat, roasted in a cast iron skillet, with carrots and potatoes. As if this wasn't good enough, the next day the leftovers were turned into burritos, which I REALLY loved! Two great meals for the price of one...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:58 am 

I gotta say, even without the lure of a free knife, this is a great topic. Learned a lot about this crowd.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:09 am 

Favourite-Homemade Cabbage Rolls.

My Mother was born in Ukraine and was an accomplished cook and all her Ukrainian cooking was sublime especially the Cabbage Rolls.

Because she had a regular job (restaurant cook) all the tedious hand work involved meant we only had them a few times a year on special occasions making them all the more special.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:51 pm 

I loved moms homemade pasta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 pm 

Mum used to buy big boxes of fruit or veg when they were on special and then work out what to do with it all afterwards. This usually worked out fine and we would come away with some bottled fruit or tomato sauce at the end of it all... but one day... she came home with a massive box of very ripe bananas. Well, it started off ok with some banana pancakes and a few banana milkshakes but it all turned rather sour (or should I say slimy) when Mum got creative and made a banana meatloaf! That's right, I said MEATLOAF :o . Perhaps there is someone out there who could whip up such a concoction and make it work - or even yummy, but I'm afraid to say that in our house that night, it was a unanimous -let's not ever do this again!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm not in the drawing, of course, but here goes:

Favorite dish: BBQ Shrimp. Loads of butter and spices with Gulf Shrimp, to die for.

Least favorite: Red Beans and Rice. Don't worry, I outgrew that one, love the stuff now! lol

Worst dish for her to cook (she will never read this thank God): Mashed potatoes, she absolutely killed it with milk almost every time. The trick is determining how much water the potatoes retained after boiling by starting to mash them with butter only at first, then add milk as needed. Don't over-whip them either, I hate consistency like it came out of a box. Okay rant over. LOL... My mom was, and is, a very good cook.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:27 am 

Fav: Meatloaf
Least: Rice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:39 pm 

My mother was Japanese and my favorite meal she made was plain white rice and miso soup with fresh vegetables. What made it special for me was that she'd add fresh mochi cakes cut into cubes to the miso soup, they were kind of like dumplings. A close second was just about any Italian dish made by her that my great grandmother taught her to make. Both were immigrants & neither spoke English very well but they sure connected when it came to cooking.

My least favorite dish was chicken curry. Not that my mother prepared it poorly but it was way too spicy and it didn't have that comfort food appeal. Not that I knew what "comfort food" was then.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:11 am 

My least favorite meal was when my mom would make homemade pizza, it was brutal. Many a night stuck at the dinner table choking it down.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:21 pm 

My favorite is bitter melon sauteed in black bean sauce with pork belly, something my dad makes for me. It's a very unique dish and weird haha.

Page 54 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next