It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 6 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shapton Pro Sharpening Stones
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:58 pm 

There are a number of thin and light stones on the market, but none of them have the ease of use inherent in the Shapton Pro system. Each stone is color coded, and comes in a lightweight color coded carrying case (which has vent holes to prevent stone deterioration from moisture), and which also doubles as a stone holder for use during sharpening.

Moreover, the entire Shapton Pro series ranges from very course to the finest grit (30,000) available. Therefore, one or two of the Shapton Pro stones is an ideal solution for the culinary student kit and chef kit, because it offers not only a portable solution, but also fits into a larger system of stones that can be built over time.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:56 am 

Although the Shapton Glass stones are more fragile than the Shapton Pros, it is odd that Shapton has not developed a portable plastic case/base for the Shapton glass stones, so that the glass stones can be safely carried like the Shapton Pros. Perhaps some enterprising designer will come up with a secondary market solution....

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Having separate cases for each GlassStone would defeat the purpose, so I think 1 case to consolidate them would be good. Maybe having thin gel or foam dividers sewn into thin black nylon covers to go between each stone, the outside of the case could be hard.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:40 am 

Good point, Fanatic. The Shapton Glass stones are designed to be used in sequence as a series. I guess if you wanted to carry a 1K or 4K, or both, you could make your own carrying cases for them, without too much trouble. I do like the cases that the Shapton Pros come in because they make the stones more easily portable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

My 2 favorite things about the Pro case are the facts that it can be used as a stone base, and it's slotted for even drying. I've got so many Glass, more Pro's will be finding there way into my collection shortly.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:23 pm 

It is pretty clever that Shapton decide to make a case with multiple functions. It is especially handy to have a case that that doubles as a base when you don't have a dedicated sharpening workstation.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:26 pm 

first I would like to apologize for reviving a 2 year old thread but didnt feel my question justified a new thread. I have the 1k and 5k. my question is about the 5k. it is so hsrd and smooth it sometimes feel the blade isnt making full contact with the stone. is this common in 5k + grit stones?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:17 am 

I've tried many different brands of stones but I always come back to my Pro's. For the price they are very hard to beat.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:33 am 

bigwoolymammoth wrote:first I would like to apologize for reviving a 2 year old thread but didnt feel my question justified a new thread. I have the 1k and 5k. my question is about the 5k. it is so hsrd and smooth it sometimes feel the blade isnt making full contact with the stone. is this common in 5k + grit stones?

In my experience, the Shapton Pro series above 5k have minimal feedback. This is not the case with many other stones, for example the Suehiro Rika 5k.

If you have doubts that you are making full contact, use a Magic Marker to color the bevel and inspect it after one or two passes to confirm what you are doing.

I find it's also helpful to chamfer the edges of the stone.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:13 pm 

yeah I really need a flattening plate to do the edges. its so slick I feel I hit the edges of the stone. but dont get me wrong it's a very effective stone

Page 2 of 6 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next