It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: To the sharpeners...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:24 am 

To me this sounds like a classic case of you not honing your knife enough. In a professional setting you are hammering you edge onto sani-safe boards which are very hard compared to say an end grain maple board. Your edge is going to roll over.

I noticed when I first started sharpening I would sharpen vs honing. This is a mistake as I'm grinding away metal that I don't have to.

My co-workers appear to have very dull knives, sometimes I sneak off with them for just a moment to hone the edge back to life.

Try to Hone your blade once you feel it's not at it's optimum. Since you grind your knives 70/30 you'll notice the edge roll over to the 70 side. If you feel the knife getting "dull" just angle it about 15 degrees to the side it's rolled on, if it cuts better you know you need to hone or strop your blade.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:36 am 

Thanks guys- On my da off I am going to take some time to do some sharpening, taking my time and replying to the posts.
I know cutting tech is not the issue, my knife skills are pretty good. I have seen my coworker sharpen his knife- He's had the same knife forever and has gotten the way he does it down pat-- meaning I think he retains his angle really really well.
Sometimes when I am freehand sharpening, the bevels on these thin knives are so small that I find it hard to tell if I am really sharpening the edge, or the shoulder etc.
Like I said, I'm going to go back to basics on the edge pro next day off and see what I can do. I have a feeling Im having a "wire edge" issue, because like I said i get them very sharp, then I go thru a few shallots and a few bunches of chives are it dulls out.
Again thanks, I hope to have a more detailed rant soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 am 

Not sure if you are using any kind of magnification to inspect your edge, but if you are not you need to be. I use these and they work great. http://www.amazon.com/Headband-Glasses- ... with+light

If you can't see whats going on you can't sharpen effectively.

Good Luck.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:12 pm 

+1

Good tool to have. Totally changed my perspective on how and why I was sharpening a certain way.

A good test is to sharpen your knife normally...then have a look at it under the scope to see what you have?
It will reveal a few things...

I have this unit: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/vedeusbpomi.htm

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2