It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Edge Pro vs. Wicked Edge
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:06 pm 
VIP Member

I purchased a knife set from Chefknivestogo and I’m wanting to purchase a sharpening system. I want a system that maybe my son who’s 12 years old could use. He has 95 pocket knives, he collects them. I would also like him to start a knife sharpening business. I’ve looked at the Edge pro and the wicked edge systems. I’ve read hundreds of reviews on both and don’t know who to believe anymore. I guess I did too much research lol. In your opinion which system would serve my needs best?

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro vs. Wicked Edge
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:29 pm 

I have seen where some people have complained about the Wicked Edge when sharpening smaller pocket knife blades. I don't recall seeing too many (or really any that come to mind) complaints about the same problem with the Edge Pro. I'm sure there are some out there though. lol

Another option is to get him a set of stones and let him learn to hand sharpen. I started around that age (12-13) and it has served me well over the years. Plus blade size is no longer a concern. If it has a sharp edge, I can sharpen it. ;)

Also, very importantly, is the knife sharpening business something he wants to do? If so that's awesome! If not it could end up burning him out on knives pretty quickly. lol ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:07 pm 

I have both the Edge Pro Apex and the Wicked Edge systems. In my opinion, the Wicked Edge is the better system for pocket knives, as the knife is held in place by a clamp, rather than by hand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:08 am 

I went through the same process and ended up with the EP Pro. I've been very pleased with it. I can't remember everything I considered, but one thing that comes to mind is the Wicked Edge needs twice as many stones. I have certainly had some struggles with knives that don't sit steadily on the table, but I seem to have figured most of that out. The blade clamp of the WE would certainly have an advantage on those though.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:19 am 

Thanks for the help. I'm also considering the worksharp ken onion. Any thoughts on the ken onion sharpening system?

Thanks

Darrell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:29 pm 

I've got the regular Worksharp (not Ken Onion version). It's fast and easy. If you have the average kitchen full of dull knives, it will make them much sharper in a hurry, but my results with it don't compare at all to the EdgePro. It's a whole different world of sharpness. I've also found it hard to avoid rounding off the tip with the Worksharp.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:58 pm 

Sue
I have the Edge Pro, Pro model, and the WEPS Pro Pack 2 model with the upgraded arms. I find myself using the Edge Pro, Pro model much more often. The WEPS will do a very fine job, I just like the EP Pro model more. Small pocket knives are hard to do on the WEPS, but also on the EP. I think there is a greater choice of sharpening media for the EP. Clamping a knife in the vise on the WEPS can be a problem sometimes. Just my observations, since owning both. Good luck with whatever one you choose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

It all boils down to personal preference, outcomes based...

I like the EP Pro version.....

Only you can make that call.....

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:20 pm 

DWR -->Sue is not the customer. She is Mark's wife and is posting an email question as Mark does occasionally.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:41 pm 

When I eventually have a son (or daughter for that matter) I will buy them a good whetstone set and tell them that when they have mastered hand sharpening they can have access to my EP. The only risk there is that the kid has to have some level of commitment or they may become frustrated or just give up. The EP provides almost instant results.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next