It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kid's knife?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:41 am 

It's the one with the yellow handle that Rookie loved so much :p

The heel & tip are slightly more rounded now then in this pic, but otherwise it's the same. They use it every day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey man, I actually like that yellow! May do one of my own like it soon enough. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:45 am 

New shot, from yesterday nite's sharpening session, accompanied by some good friends

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:35 am 
Forum Moderator

From what I can see:

C.V. Heljestrand Mk#33 (lucky sob!)
Klas Tornblom in bloodwood?
First gen Fanatic in AEB-L
Tojiro Shirogami
Carter Nakiri
Benchmade Griptillian.

How did I do? :D

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:01 am 

Good eye!

Actually the only thing you got wrong is that the razor beneath that, what's it called....right, ivory-scaled MK#33 :D , is a Tornblom scaled in purpleheart, but the lightning or lack there of actually makes it redder then it is.
And since you are wondering, the MK#33 took an exquisite 0.025µ poly diamond finish. Test-shave will most probably be divine ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:52 pm 

i like how you dont only sharpen kitchen knives but razors too :) haha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:43 pm 

I just went through this decision and went with a 5" Kyocera petty/utility knife. I have very very curious and capable six and seven YO girls. They, like me cherish food and cooking and all love to work with their hands. The reason I went with these knives is because:

1.) Sharp, cuts like a real knife (steel knife) and is very forgiving on little fingers. Lets face it, learning to cut food with a claw hand does not seems intuitive, especially to children.
2.) The knife is light and handle fits well in small hands.
3.) The blade allows some push cutting and push/pull cutting. Mine littles want to push cut everything (I wonder why ;))

Its not a real knife but it will teach them the things they should know:

1.) How to stand at the cutting board, hold the knife and where to put it when finished (thanks Eamon B. for your clear videos)
2. How to hold the food. Claw, hammer, finger point.
3.) How to move the knife, Up-down, Slicing or drawing.

I made a little sheath for ours. Ive had it for three months and its still relatively sharp. For $25 bucks on amazon. For the 6 to 8 YO child range it works.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:13 pm 

I see no point of selling a "kids" knife. Just like others have said it is just asking for problems. There are plenty of small knives out there that would fit and work for a child just fine. Once you attach "childs knife" to it people will assume maybe it cannot cut them, maybe its just a plastic toy. So I'm all for not marketing something of that nature. If your child is ready to use a knife, there are plenty of small pairing knives out there that would be perfect, and it puts the liability on you. I believe plenty of people would buy these kids knives thinking they cannot hurt there child, so yeah stay away from that.

Anyway I am the youngest out of 4 brothers, I have the closest relationship with my mother. She always cooked a family style meal just about every night and we all ate together at the table. I always helped my mom cook and enjoyed spending time with her in the kitchen, ever since I was a little boy. I don't recall the age at which I started cutting things up, but trust me I didn't need a child's knife, and I still have all my fingers. Basically this was the best time I spent with my mom growing up, it all started from maybe just stirring something like gravy and moving into more complex tasks. My mother actually prefers small knives herself which worked just fine for me.

Even to this day I love to cut things up so much, that anytime I'm around my mom and she is going to cook something, I prep all her food. I guess I'm just saying when the child is ready to learn they will and they don't need a knife specifically marketed to children, and a 14" yanagiba is probably not the best choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:17 pm 

I suppose one way around the marketing aspect of it would be to have a category of knives for people with small hands :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:45 pm 

that would be a bit embarrassing for some people maybe? im not sure. or even a line of female knives? idk seems off to me

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next