It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:28 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tsutomu Kajihara Nakiri
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:54 pm 

Curious if anyone has much experience with this knife? How thin behind the edge? How reactive is it? Sounds like it's not stainless clad. What's the real difference between this and his kurouchi?

Post subject: Re: Tsutomu Kajihara Nakiri
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

Only ever seen the gyuto's. They're nice. Thin at the very edge, but a bit thick right behind the edge.

Not stainless clad, carbon damascus cladding.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:45 am 

I also have only used the gyuto. I own one. You can find my review in the reviews section. The more I use it and get used to the weight, the more I like it. It is not the thinnest gyuto I own but cuts great, sharpens nicely, and is definitely a looker. It isn't terribly reactive: I haven't noticed discoloration on anything except garlic, and it certainly isn't as reactive as some. But it did start forming a patina fairly quickly.

I can't speak to the nakiri, but I wouldn't expect it to be particularly thin. You may have found this already but you can check out choil shots of a kurouchi funayuki of his, which may be closer to a nakiri, here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2859&hilit=kajihara

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:09 am 

Thanks guys, that is an interesting grind on the funayuki. I'm still a relatively new sharpener and am not too comfortable reprofiling knives. I have a project knife I'm playing around with but I wouldn't want to try it on a more expensive knife.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:49 am 

I'd venture to say from the nakiri videos that the damascus looks like it is slightly thinner, but it is hard to say. It is a lot of money to drop on a relative unknown. I'd love to see a cutting video of that knife, if the powers that be around here are listening.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]