It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Fujiwara FKM Stainless 240 vs Richmond Artifex 240
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:11 am 

If he doesn't want to get the Artifex and thin the shit out of it I would go Kaneshige, but it probably is comparable to the FKM.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

See my review in the Customer Reviews forum for some thoughts on the Kaneshige Stainless 240 Gyuto. Yes, the FKM and Kaneshige steels will be very similar. The FKM will probably be a bit better cutter OOTB, especially at the tip. I found the Kaneshige really benefited from putting a 50/50 slightly steeper (like 13-14 DPS) bevel on it. I thinned a little at the shoulder as well, which helped a bit as well. I think a more aggressive thinning would help performance even more.

The Kaneshige will have more of a weight forward, workhorse type feel than the other two.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:12 pm 

Among others, I use the extra tall 240 Artifex or Addict and it is great in both performance and in toughness for a commercial environment. The extra height is great for processing larger amounts of stock and of course your hand remains well clear. The grind is fairly flat sided and the knife is a bit sticky but it is easy to keep sharp and holds it's edge very well. For myself I don't know how professional cooks can get by using 210 mm knifes for everything - I am constantly watching cooks working more slowly then they need to because their knife is too small.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:32 pm 

Slow work can attribute to many things.
I outwork many people using shorter knifes just based on mise en place and being prepared. It all depends on the mindset of the chef and not the tools IMO

UNLESS you're breaking down whole hog, then the tools play a vital vital role

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2