It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:59 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fujiwara FKM Stainless 240 vs Richmond Artifex 240
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:58 pm 

OK I need an answer and quick ,I convinced a co work to get a new knife and he has a budget of 100 bucks. stainless steel, right handed and western handle or wa handle,I use to own the Richmond knife and loved it but I would like to know how the fujiwara compares, as in steel quality and grind. He is just learning how to sharpen too quick answer would be helpful, thanks

Post subject: Re: Fujiwara FKM Stainless 240 vs Richmond Artifex 240
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 pm 

oh and if yall got any other suggestions that would be cool too, Im pretty sure the less money the better

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:03 pm 

The Richmond will have the better steel, the Fuji will have a much better grind.

Maybe consider Kaneshige Stainless Wa Gyuto 210: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kastwagy210.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:24 pm 

i was just going to ask about that knife . he was looking at that knife too, but the 210. I was trying to convince him he would be happier with 240 in the long run . I kinda feel like the grind of the knife is more important than the steel?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:43 pm 

Fujiwara is better if he does not intend to learn to sharpen and thin. I had one and enjoyed it very much. Nice handle, nice looking, fairly thin grind. Didn't hold it's edge all that long but took a nice one.

Artifex is better if he knows how to sharpen or wants to learn how. Takes a better edge and keeps it longer. With some substantial thinning it is a better cutter by far. But...substantial thinning.

Someone else stated something along the lines of, Fujiwara is better now, artifex has a higher ceiling. I have found this to be very true. I sold my Fujiwara, and use my artifex regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:56 pm 

kirkystyle wrote:i was just going to ask about that knife . he was looking at that knife too, but the 210. I was trying to convince him he would be happier with 240 in the long run . I kinda feel like the grind of the knife is more important than the steel?

On the first point, if he is used to an 8" chef's, the 210mm will be just fine. That being said 240mm can arguably give him more utility, but in a home kitchen it won't be that much more. I find how tall the blade is to be more important than the length in a lot of cases. I don't care how long the blade is if my knuckles keep touching the board. lol

As for grind vs. steel, keep in mind that the grind on a blade is easier to change than the steel. You can thin something like the Artifex into a better knife, but you can't improve on the Fujiwara's steel. For the money (and not much more than the Fujiwara or Artifex) I'd give the Kaneshige a try. The blade isn't overly hard (59 rockwell according to the description) so it shouldn't be chippy but it will be harder than a lot of german style knives. Kind of a happy medium to get him used to a Japanese knife until he's ready to step up to something better with an even harder steel. Plus it's supposed to be Konosuke's parent company, so I'm thinking they know a thing or two about knives. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:15 pm 

the knife will mainly be used in a professional kitchen, vegan chef will be chopping a whole lot of veggies but will be on crappy restaurant cutting boards.I personally like AEB-l, I own the Richmond Laser AEB-l and The Fanatic Aeb-l but that Kaneshige looks sweet I guess he will have decide on the type of handle I don't think he has a preference but he might, seems the artifex is going to be the better knife in the long run

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:11 pm 

Fujiwara out of the box.

Artifex with TLC.

Know nothing of the Kaneshige. I am partial to wa-handles, I might get that today rather than the two above if I had it all to do again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:02 am 
Site Admin

The fujiwara has nice grinds and a bolster.

My knife will hold an edge better had has a more durable handle.

That's the main differences between them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:34 am 

if he is going to be working on a ton of veg, and doesn't have much sharpening experience, I would recommend the fujiwara. The artifex does have great steel! but without a fair bit of work the wedgeing might hinder his view on j-knives (if this is the first) I have a m390 and 52100 arifex (210) mind you, love the feel and f+f is fine, but they do wedge in harder ingredients. Not sure if the 240 artifex has any of the same issues as I haven't used one. another thought would be to convince him to enter the world of carbon and free up some more options??? just sayin.. lol
haven't used the kaneshige, but from the specs looks similar to the fkm, steel is probably very close, and profile dosent look much different other then the obvious handle

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next