It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Goko 240 Gyuto Vs. Wearever Pro Carbon
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:03 pm 

I just received my Goko forum special 240MM gyuto.
When I took it out of the box and held it, I immediately noticed some similiarities with one of my long time favorites.
Here are side by side pictures of my new Goko, and my 10 inch carbon steel Wearever Professional

I think the profiles are pretty similiar, except the tip of the Goko is much more pointed.
Some comparitive specs:
Weight: Goko 204 grams, Wearever Pro 220 grams
Cutting Edge Length: Goko 242MM, Wearever Pro 240 MM
Total Blade Length: Goko 245 MM: Wearever Pro 252MM 10 inches
Blade Height: Goko 52 MM, Wearever Pro 54MM
Blade Thickness, Goko, 3MM, Wearever Pro 3MM

Handle: Goko 138MM, Wearever Pro 125MM

The Wearever Pro is much more distal taper than the Goko. I did some research that showed Wearever offered this knife in 2 versions. I have both versions, the other one is much thicker at the tip end, more like a butcher knife than a chef's knife.

I can tell you the Wearever is a great cutter. I still enjoy using it.
I am looking for any comments from you knife pros out there, regarding what your opinions are as to what is similar and different about these two great blades.

Post subject: Re: Goko 240 Gyuto Vs. Wearever Pro Carbon
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

I think you outlined the differences extremely well. The final analysis will be in the performance on product. Please let us know how they compare in that respect. That Wearever is a cool knife!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:06 pm 

Curious how the steel compares on the stones and on product.

Interesting comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:24 pm 

Well they look and feel the same, but it comes down to steel and grind in the end. Both are exceptional knives though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:31 am 

I just got a chance to use my Goko White steel Gyuto tonight. I made a stir fry using peppers, onions, mushrooms, and broccoli. Boneless pork was used for the protein.
I did a side by side comparison using both the Goko, and my 10 inch Wearever Professional chefs knife cutting equal portions of vegetables and protein.
My Wearever Pro has a 2K edge on it, and is a great cutter. Very thin edge, and a severe distal taper on the top line.

All the reviews are raving about the Goko with it's finely polished 5 or 8 K edge.
Well like I said, I cut everything with both of them. They both weigh the same, and quite frankly they both cut the same. I saw no significant difference or having to use less effort with the Goko.

I am sure given the quality of the steel, that the Goko can improve. I have posted a question in the knife sharpening forum as to what I can do to improve the performance of the Goko.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]