It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: >> Teruyasu 240 Gyuto <<
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

I am glad to see a review on these!! My second Japanese Knife was a Nakiri by the same maker, bought in 2006 from another supplier. It cut very well, had a similar grind, but the steel didn't feel all that super hard to me (about the same as my Kikuichi Elite Carbon gyuto and Dojo parer) and the edge was lackluster OOTB and didn't seem to hold it for a very long time. My machi gap was non existent on the nakiri and the handle was low end; the plastic ferrule fell off quickly (2 weeks IIRC). I am glad to see that Mark got them to use nicer handles and that the performance steel wise is there as well! The Nashiji does a excellent job at releasing food from the blade and slipping through taller foods. It looks like I kinda got a dud all those years ago, may have to revisit these now!

I agree with the machi gaps. I install my handles using JB Kwik Weld and they do not budge, so the exposed Machi doesn't work to adjust the handle for me. On some knives, I can vary how much neck is exposed and I like a longer neck so the finger can tuck in there. Most of the times I make the machi flush, but with a longer neck area. Interested to see your measurement of the ferrule front to the choil area!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:31 pm 

Mel --> From one blue collar to another, first, that was a great review and thanks for taking the time. I do know that the traits of one size in a brand my not translate to all the sizes of said brand. Given the assumed qualities of the 240mm I would find it less likely the 150mm to be a dud. Might not be correct but you have to have some type of processes of elimination and that works for me, sometimes. :D

Now as far as you just being human, and an opinionated one at that, well.....lets just say it's one opinion I trust. I'll be the first to say your right more often than not. As I've said in the past, this man knows his $hit! Keep sharing those straight forward opinions! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

DOUG, TAZ <> I measured all my knives, and it is of no surprise that my two most comfortable have the largest ferrule to choil gap. I only started ordering all my knives with the machi exposed about a year ago, and that fact is the root of any regrets I may have with my knives. I wish I would have recognized this taste from day one, but we live we learn…

Taking these measurements has just illustrated for me the expected: the knives with shorter gaps are the knives I inherently use least.

My Teruyasu is radiused at the 90, but it’s 20mm to the choil. It’s my favorite… my most comfortable, yet.

My MasamotoKS has an extended Emoto, measuring 18mm. If it has a classical machi, I don’t know, but with an 18mm neck, I don’t particularly care.

JEFF <> Straight forward is my only way... I can't help but be.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:45 pm 

This is a great looking and performing knife.

Mel - It's funny that you bring up this point about the machi. When I first started rehandling knives about two years ago, I copied the Japanese and left the machi exposed. However, after my first set that I ever made for Mark, he told me to sink it in all the way in into the handle. He said that most people didn't understand the purpose of the exposure. So I have been doing it that way ever since. I do however feel the handle to choil fit before I glue anything in. I will hold the blade to where I feel the knife is at a comfortable fit as the glue sets. I use 5min epoxy which helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:14 pm 

I own the 150mm petty. While I'm not a pro I do enjoy using this knife immensely. I understand what Mel is talking about feeling the blacksmith in the knife. For me I think it's the finish on the knife. It just feels like a lot of time and pride went into it. It is also my favorite knife to sharpen. I'm not an expert sharpener by any means but it is so easy to draw a burr and remove in comparison to some other knives I have sharpened. I'd like to thank Adam Marr for the recommendation on this one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:04 pm 

Beautifully composed review. As this knife is out of my current price range I appreciate you taking the time to offer a peak into what this knife has to offer. I may have to add this one to my wish list.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:48 am 

Has it ever been discussed or xplained why the Teruyasu Fujiwaras and Shigefusas have such a huge price increase from 210mm to 240mm? I have seen on some other sites where the 240mm Shigefusas were actually more expensive than the 270mm, same knife lines. $200 increases from the 210mm. Is this a supply and demand type thing where the 240mm is the most popular size?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:10 am 

This knife is very comfortable, very light and stiff, but retains it's thickness at the spine for most of the length. Absolute joy to work with, very nice profile for 240mm gyuto. Sharpens very easily and retains sharp for a long time, probably the best knife I ever had or handled...
Great review and pictures Melapus !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:00 am 

I found the post I was looking for.
99% sure this is my next knife. The 1% would be if *POOF* Out Of Stock appeared, Then I would really need a finger cot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:03 am 

I got the Santoko Last month and really dig it. My main knife during service.

Page 2 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next