It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:05 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Kid's knife?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:03 am 

I've seen a series of kid's knifes from Masahiro, eg. (auto-translated from Japanese, I'm afraid)
* http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuboya/item/518237/

From other sites, I've seen they have models suitable for 4-year-olds and 10-year-olds.
They are all sharp, but have slightly rounded tips and fit smaller hands.

Anyone here tried this with kids?

Something for CKTG collection?

Best regards,
Henrik

Post subject: Re: Kid's knife?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Henrik,

Tojiro offers a line of these as well. We were reluctant to market sharp knives to children so we decided not to offer them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:20 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:We were reluctant to market sharp knives to children so we decided not to offer them.

I think that's a wise choice considering you are located here in the US.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8085 ... ue-catcher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:19 am 

yah i am not so sure if it is a good idea for kids to be handling sharp knives. Good call on that one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:15 am 

When is a kid or a child deemed not to be a kid or a child? I don't think we can just say "kids should not have sharp knives".

It is up to a parent to decide on an appropriate age.

I have two youngsters aged 5 and 2. They are both active in the kitchen. Neither touch knives yet and know not to and we keep all the sharp stuff out of reach of curious hands. At some point though it they will need to be educated in proper use of knives. I'm not sure when, play it by ear I guess but I would think somewhere between 8-10 yrs. I'm guessing my daughter would be ahead of my son given her manual dexterity and ability to follow more complex instruction is ahead of my son.

I'd like to see a knife range that is suitable for kids, small handles, perhaps rubber coated handles, smaller blades, light with a rounded tip, a plastic sheath would be a good starting point. It would be nice to have something that was their own that they could use and learn how to take care of.

At some point they'll need to pick up a knife, it would be good to have something that was suitable for little hands.

Not sure how a kid throwing a ball in someone's face is related to a parent instructing their child in proper knife use?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:50 am 

I feel this can be added to the conversation. What do you all think is more dangerous a gun or a knife? I was shooting a gun at 8 years old. I killed my first and biggest whitetail at age 9. Under proper vision and instruction many "dangerous" activities can be done under the right circumstances by very young children. Knowledge is a great tool for prevention

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:12 am 

Yes, thats all fine and dandy if parents want to allow their children to shoot guns and handle knives. It's actually a great idea to teach them how to use these things safely, the problem with it is the legal liability of marketing dangerous objects to children. It's BEGGING for a lawsuit.

"Not sure how a kid throwing a ball in someone's face is related to a parent instructing their child in proper knife use?"
If a child is being sued for accidentally hitting a woman in the face with a ball at a baseball game, do you really think people arent going to sue when the knife that you have marketed to children ends up hurting one of them?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:17 am 

Twyst wrote:Yes, thats all fine and dandy if parents want to allow their children to shoot guns and handle knives. It's actually a great idea to teach them how to use these things safely, the problem with it is the legal liability of marketing dangerous objects to children. It's BEGGING for a lawsuit.

"Not sure how a kid throwing a ball in someone's face is related to a parent instructing their child in proper knife use?"
If a child is being sued for accidentally hitting a woman in the face with a ball at a baseball game, do you really think people arent going to sue when the knife that you have marketed to children ends up hurting one of them?

My point in asking about your comparison is that there are no facts, just a brief report from a Journalist we know nothing about. What are the facts? IS this a successful suit? Was somebody sitting in a park minding their own business when they got smashed in the face with a ball? Is there a duty of care on the part of the sports team? Is it just a frivolous law suit? I don't know, and neither do you. There is no point in taking a story that is totally unrelated, has little in the way of information and then comparing it to somebody selling a kitchen knife designed for smaller (Children's) hands. On this argument you could make a case for not selling anything to anyone because somebody once got hit in the face by a ball (we think).

The facts are that knives can hurt anyone, adults, teenagers, the elderly and children. I don't think anyone is suggesting that people start marketing..."hey kid, buy this super sharp knife and start cutting". What is being suggested is that a knife that is more suited to someone that is perfectly capable of using it is a good idea. If I buy a knife for my child to use under my supervision then I think it will be a hard case to make against the seller of that knife unless they were specifically negligent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:23 am 

Of course every parent has to decide what is right for their child.

I personally truly believe that you should teach your kids as much as possibly & learn them how to handle "dangerous" things instead of avoiding them.
Anyhow, I searched around a bit for a kids kitchen knife but came up with nothing (and I'm not counting the atrocities that the sell made form plastic...yeah that's good teach teh kids to rip food apart...)
I know some Japanese makers offer, but they were a bit to expensive & honestly & didn't want to spend to much.

So, my solution was to take my seldom used Tojiro Santoku & simply grind the tip & heel round & then I dulled the first centimeter of the cutting edge, because I felt if anything, that is where you are gonna cut yourself.
I put a new, smaller handle on (maybe not necessary) & we were good to go!

It's the perfect size, both my 4 yo & 6 you used it. The 6 yo uses it by himself, always monitored of course, & the 4 yo get some help.
No problems. A 6 yo for instance can handle way harder challenges then cutting things with a knife.
So make sure your kids understand what they are doing, keep it slow & always play it safe & I see no reason to worry.
I make sure the blade always is sharp, so they can cut with proper technique.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:34 am 
Forum Moderator

Any pictures of that knife Jens?

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next