It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Need a new knife around $200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:03 am 

Hi all,

I love my Moritaka Gyuto 240 (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritaka8.html ), but unfortunately a carbon steel knife just doesn't work for my purposes in a professional kitchen any more. I need a great all around Japanese style gyuto made with stainless steel. I love the light weight, thin blade, and the fairly small curve on the edge of the Moritaka and would ideally find something with a similar geometry. I'm not opposed to a different style of knife like a Santoku, but I don't really need all of that extra height on the blade and would think that it would add unnecessary weight.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: Need a new knife around $200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:26 am 
Forum Moderator

SMIDEY <> I'd like to suggest the Kanehiro,<--link but its $100 over budget.

Check these out, and pay attention to laser statistics:

Takayuki Damascus<--link
Takayuki Grand Cheff<--link
Konosuke<--link

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Smidey - Melampus gave you some great recommendations. I think the Konosuke HH 240 Funayuki/Gyuto he mentioned might be ideal for you and not as far out of your range as the Kanehiro. That Kono has a fantastic profile that's right up your alley and the tip is wonderfully versatile for detail work. It lends more flexibility to the blade as compared to Kono's regular 240 Gyuto profile. Mel is a huge fan of this shape, and based on that, I got the HD 240 version. It's everything he articulated about the 240 Funy/Gyuto characteristics and performance ITK.

I haven't handled the Grand Cheff, but between the Takayuki Damascus and the Kono HH, I definitely see the Kono fitting your desired description a bit better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kikuichi TKC:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ic24gy.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:10 pm 

The Richmond Ultimatum 245mm Gyuto-Stainless might fit the bill: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riulst25gy.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:18 pm 

That Kanehiro is a sexy knife, but definitely on the pricier side of the range - I forgot to mention that I love the convex grind on my Moritaka and this knife looks like it fits the bill. As far as the Konosukes go, what is the difference between the HH and the HD? They both look like they're really hot knifes and dear god are they light. The only thing that I would be worried about is whether or not they could stand up to regular use as an every day all purpose knife in the kitchen.

Adam, thanks for the heads up on the Kikuichi, but I prefer Japanese style handles to western ones.

I was also looking at the Goku, do any of you guys have any experience with or opinions on it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Smidey - you can do a search on HH vs HD steel or similar to find out much more info, but in a nutshell, the HH is a full stainless steel and HD is semi-stainless. Many experts here prefer the sharpening characteristics and edge retention of Kono's HD steel. As long as you don't let water sit on it for a LONG time, they're almost stainless with normal maintenance. Just clean and dry after a round of use. If you want the knife to sit all day, unattended, then HH might be the ticket.

Professionals regularly use these knives as their all purpose tools, using good technique, given the thin blade. They aren't delicate, but they aren't Western Deba's either ;-). If you do well using your Moritaka w/o any or little chipping or damage, you should be just fine with the Kono.

If you decide the Kono HD 240 Funy/Gyuto (not in stock) is the one for you, someone in the classifieds forum posted a want to trade on this knife for a normal Kono HD 240 Gyuto (which is in stock). You might check that out and see if this might be an option.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:42 pm 

The Goko is a good knife with a nice grind and cuts well. The white #1 core takes a great edge. It is a steal at the current sale price.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:05 am 

Thanks for all of your help, guys. I think the last question that I have is whether or not the semi-stainless and clad knives will discolor food. I've noticed that from time to time my Moritaka will discolor things like onions, tomatoes, etc. while I am cutting them.

Is the Konosuke a clad knife or is it the same steel all the way through? Is it semi-stainless because it doesn't have enough chromium to be considered a full stainless? What is the name of the steel that they use for their knives?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:08 pm 

Stainless clad knives with carbon cores can discolor food.

The Konos are mono steel, no core.

I think the answer to your question about semi-stainless is yes.

The HD steel is proprietary and the composition is not known. I guess technically they are using HD2 now. As I understand it HD was a stock of tool steel that they ran through and contracted for a replacement, the HD2 is an effort at duplicating HD steel's performance.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next